GUIDE: Install Wordpress On Your Desktop Or Laptop "localhost"

In recent times, Wordpress has gained lot of popularity as a content management system and it's no longer just a blogging tool. Lot of CS/IT engineers would want to try their hands at the software and develop plugins/themes for WordPress. Following guide acts as a quick reference to install Wordpress on your own computer without needing a server, hosting plan and domain, etc.

Installing Required Software:

1. XAMPP: You will need this free software to run PHP & MySQL on your computer. Head over to #-Link-Snipped-# and download the XAMPP software. Install the software using the instructions displayed by the software installer. Once installed, run the software control panel and hit following buttons -

Apache - Start | Mysql - Start

Also, hitting the 'Explore...' button will open the folder in which XAMPP is installed. You will find a number of other folders inside and folder named 'htdocs' is the folder of our interest.

2. Download WordPress (Free): Head over to Download โ€“ WordPress.org and download the latest .zip. Once you download the software, extract the contents of the zip. You will get a folder named 'wordpress'. Rename this folder to something like 'blog'.

Nove, cut/copy and paste the 'blog' folder we just named, into the 'htdocs' folder. That means the folder hierarchy will look like: D:\xampp\htdocs\blog\ (the drive letter may be different in your case).

You are now done with the basic setup. Let's go ahead. I hope you are still with me ๐Ÿ˜€

Setup Database For The Blog

Now, open your favorite browser (which should be Firefox or Chrome) and type #-Link-Snipped-#.

If everything up to this step was right, you will see the phpMyAdmin console. Notice the "Create New Database" field and enter database name, something like "blogdb" or simply "blog". Hit 'create' button to create the database. All done!

Start WordPress Installation

Now, in your browser, open another tab, and type #-Link-Snipped-# . Your browser will automatically take you to the WordPress installation page and offer a user friendly installer. Simply follow the instructions. On the database setup page during the installation, you might have to use "root" as database administration and a blank password to continue. Other options would work fine on their own. So don't touch them if you don't know what they do.

That's all! Your Wordpress installation is ready to roll. Access your wordpress front end from #-Link-Snipped-# and wordpress backend (admin panel) via #-Link-Snipped-#

If you have any questions or stuck up at any level, post your problems below.

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Please type local host links properly. They are broken so unable to proceed ahead.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Broken? Didn't get you.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ishutopre
    Please type local host links properly. They are broken so unable to proceed ahead.
    Dude - localhost links in above article wont' work because they are pointing to 'localhost' (127.0.0.1) which is your own computer.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I have a doubt in this step Start WordPress Installation. Yes you are right, the links are not working. I am getting this error [โ€‹IMG]
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Guys... I prefer a Portable Wamp Server... ๐Ÿ˜€ Best is USB WebServer and WampServer, as they don't need any advanced configuration as XAMPP... ๐Ÿ˜€ What do you say Biggie???

Download them at:
    #-Link-Snipped-# ๐Ÿ˜€
    www.wampserver.com ๐Ÿ˜€

For WampServer, I prefer WampEE... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • phillipturner
    phillipturner
    thank you for the post , I was facing difficulties during installation of widgets, your post has helped me a lot.
    Issue
    I have a doubt in this step Start WordPress Installation. Yes you are right, the links are not working. I am getting this error [โ€‹IMG]
    Ishu, did you install the server in your system?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    No. I could not. Can someone help me?

Once I start installing the wordpress, I will post my progress step by step. I want someone to help me while I am at it. ๐Ÿ˜”
    I can help you buddy... Call me... ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Sagar Sutariya
    Sagar Sutariya
    hi friends here are step by step guide which may help you/

1). Download Latest Worpdress from #-Link-Snipped-#
    2). Just paste rar file in www directory of wamp server and extract it (how to go at wamp www directory in pic)
    [โ€‹IMG]
    3). Now open your localhost and find wordpress-3.1.4 after "Your Projects"
    4). Again click on wordpress after parent directory
    5). Now click on create configure file button
    6). Now click on let's go button
    7). Go to wamp at taskbar right button and click on phpmyadmin (or go on #-Link-Snipped-#)
    8). Create a new database with name "wordpress" and hit create button
    9). now again come back and you can see this type of screen
    [โ€‹IMG]

10). fill data Database Name : wordpress , User Name: root, Password : "Blank" no password , Database Host : localhost, Table Prefix : wp_ and click on submit button
    11). Click on Run and Install and you done

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Friends, Can anyone suggest me some good material for preparing English for GATE? There are few questions, these days based on paragraphs and English Vocabulary. I know Barrons is for...
The Revised GRE or the new GRE is a bit difficult than the current one because: 1. The major part of Revised GRE has Reading Comprehension (RC), which has been...
Lecture by Prof. Asok Kumar Mallik Department of Mechanical Engineering IIT Kanpur . Feel free to ask questions and discuss this topic.
Lecture by Prof. Asok Kumar Mallik Department of Mechanical Engineering IIT Kanpur . Feel free to ask questions and discuss this topic.
Consider a vehicle engine, how does the fuel consumption differ when it is run in(by) different gears. Also, how does fuel consumption differ when vehicles head light is on(because engine...