Green Cars #3: Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid

Continuing the series of Green Cars articles:#-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-#, let me put forth the car that is many times superior in performance than the previous ones! Though its not completely an electric vehicle, the new Porsche 918 SPYDER is surely set to impress.

When Porsche designs a concept car, its not just fooling around. The German automobiles giant never disappoints in getting the concept into reality! The 918 Spyder, which looks much like the Carrera GT and is dubbed as its successor, is the first plug-in hybrid car by Porsche and its expected price is whopping $630,000! The car is expected to be out in 2 or 3 years.

[​IMG]

So what makes this car different from the other electric/hybrid cars? Why is its price so higher than the others? Let’s take a look:

[*]The 918 hybrid has a 3.4 liter- 500 horsepower petrol V8 along with two electric motors, one for each axel. These two motors add up another 160kW (218hp) that makes a total power of 718 hp!
    [*]Because of so much power, the car races from 0 to 100 Km/hr in just 3.2 seconds which is much quicker than the e-TRON and the eDRIVE.
    [*]With a top speed of 319 Km/hr, the 918 breaks the record of the fossil fuel powered V10 Carrera GT in crossing the famous Nürburgring Nordschleife circuit in Germany's Black Forest. (The top speed is not even comparable with the top speeds of Audi e-TRON and Merc eDRIVE!)
    [*]Forget the top speed; if this vehicle is driven economically, it consumes as little as 3 liters of petrol per 100 Km of driving. That surely makes it a “GREEN” car with just 70 grams of CO2 emission per kilometer. Toyota Prius, among the greenest cars being sold around the world, emits 89g/km. For gas-powered supercars, the worst CO2 emission offender is Lamborghini Murciélago that emits 480g/km!
    [*]The spider weighs just 1490 Kilograms, much lighter than the 2000 Kg Audi e-TRON that suffers a lot due to its heavy weight.
    [*]The SPYDER has another advantage. Being hybrid, it can travel a distance of about 25 Kilometers on electricity alone!

The Porsche 918 SPYDER surely impresses. It promises a performance of a supercar without causing much damage to the environment. Hybrid cars are finding a lot of demand if compared to the EVs. But I feel that the future lies in the EVs itself. Hybrids are here to temporarily replace the fossil fuel based cars that are adding a lot of pollution. As the research is advancing in the field of electric vehicles, we may soon have a complete electric car replacing the 918! But as of now, The Porsche 918 SPYDER is set to rock the world!

Check out the First Real Video:

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A prosthetic arm is an artificial extension used to replace a missing body part. Patients have had used prosthetic arms from a long time from now. Prosthetic arms use a...
Lasers have always been a subject of interest for students of modern physics. And why not, lasers are known for their accuracy and power. The free electron lasers are very...
Hello Engineers, We've always had hundreds of queries for summer internships, trainings and certifications on the CE-Forum. Lots of engineering students and working professionals have doubts or queries related to...
Today morning, about 150 thousand Gmail account holders were shocked to find out that their emails, google chats and attachments were all gone. Google has explained that less than 0.08%...
I remember few years ago, I had a discussion with few of my friends about Google being evil and using its monopoly to make or break businesses. Let's face it,...