CrazyEngineers
  • In a move to 'rebalance' the gender scales in office spaces, all the leading Indian Institutes Of Managements (IIMs) have decided to offer grace marks to girl candidates who apply for IIMs. IIM Rohtak will award 20 marks to each girl and another 20 to a non-engineer, IIM-Raipur will add 30 marks to the overall scores of each girl-non-engineer. IIM-Lucknow has decided to grant five marks to each girl and two to non-engineers. I wish to know what our CEans think about this move from the IIMs. I personally believe that this move indicates that girl candidates aren't capable of securing a seat in IIMs on their own and they need 'grace' marks to secure a seat. I personally see this move as idiotic as it questions the ability of girl students.

Do office spaces really need to care about the gender balance or award the job only to those who 'deserve' it?

PS: I've lost faith in IIMs long ago.
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Prasad Ajinkya

MemberAug 26, 2011

Really, when did this happen?

Sheez, I knew the ration on campus was skewed, but this is taking it a bit too far though.

But to be frank, hasn't this always been the case? In Mumbai University, there is a 50% reservation of seats for Girls (it's been so for the past 8-9 years now). How is this any different? Equal opportunity is one, unfair advantage is another.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • talwar1994

MemberAug 26, 2011

These people feel that engineers learn too much extra being in engineering. Infact we engineers don't even deal with the topics mentioned in the syllabus of CAT. Well if this kind of undue advantage has to be implemented then lets involve topics like integration and differentiation which we as maths students actually study in +2.in CAT. Then it can be fair and square. Else without even giving valid justification this decision is totally unfair towards engineers.
    Cancel
  • Reya

MemberAug 26, 2011

This is ridiculous.Why there is a discrimination in IIM's?Why do they wanted to give grace marks to girls?Is this the right decision to bring diversity in their campus?

IIM will lose its standards because of this decision 😔
    Cancel
  • CIVILPRINCESS

MemberAug 27, 2011

that was totally unexpected... but i am totally against it... even though i am a girl! seriously, just when i was hoping something would happen and all the reservations would be removed from the systems, another new reservation pops up! the value for merit is reaching an all time low...
    Cancel
  • durga ch

MemberAug 27, 2011

another derogatory initiative , I must say. The result would be -however smart the gril be and however good their score be - they would be classified as reservation candidate. Well done !
    I found a satiric article. here: #-Link-Snipped-#
    Cancel
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla

MemberSep 19, 2011

I personally believe that girls are equally capable!! This is not a good initiative.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register