Got a job in a small company -parents , brother unhappy!!!

I am a final year student ,i study in a reputed coll.We get lot of companies for placements...that makes us rite tests almost everyday so u dono on which day u ill get placed.Some lucky or unlucky day i dono i got this(dont want to mention) startup .After a week i could understand my parents ,cousin are not happy bsc i shud ve got a much bigger and better companies .Some how my dad got to no next day i ve cts and he forced me to rite ..but i dint ...wen my friends ask which company i got ...IF i tell company name their reaction is like AH?????..ok anyway u got some company..My cousin who works in TCS irritates me daily u go to that startup they ill make u to work double,they ill overload the work ,very difficult to survive ..startup are not good...etc and even my friends tease me because they got BIG companies ...AND NW i am feeling very depressed .. DONO wat to do my placments are almost over.My question is , s it GOOD to work in startups ? .The company is 150 in bangalore 1.3k globally

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Hello #-Link-Snipped-# Welcome to CE.
    First of all, let me tell you that you're in good hands. Once you ask such a question on CE, you will only get good advice from fellow CEans. 👍

So you got a job in a startup. Let me break it in points for you.
    I would focus on the positives at first.

Working at a startup -

1. Your ideas, your work, and everything you do everyday adds to building a secure foundation for the startup. You have a large say on your work.
    Each individual in the startup is extremely engrossed in owning his or her piece of work.

2. What a startup offers is very rare and often more valuable – a chance to pursue what you love doing working together with some of the most brilliant strong willed people and for some that beats any pay scale any day.

3. Godspeed learning!
    A startup is always hungry for more. If learning new skills and taking on challenges on a daily basis is something you are yearning for, you have to look no further.

So, here are a few lines that I read on a blog and I think they will suit here the best. In a startup -

Mentally you are trained like a ninja. Ready to take on any surprise and turn it into a victory. Fighting till the end. That training at a very formative stage is very important in long-term career success. I meet lots of ‘Corporate Suits’ who have no edge of being able to take hits and downsides.

The bottom line is, if nothing written above interests you or drives you, start looking for walk-ins in a MNC. 😀 The perspective changes from person to person.
    Choose what suits you best. And keep us informed about your decision.

PS: Feel free to ask more questions.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    The company in which you are placed. Check with them what kind of work they are going to allocate to you.
    If it is in your interest and good learning scope then you are on right path, even you have to work hard.
    More you learn in first 2-3 years of career more your future will be secured.

By the way: see some reaction about BIG BRANDS
    Working in Indian IT, Infy, Wipro or TCS etc
  • Ramannn
    Ramannn
    Thanks for u reply...but still i ve few questions after i got placed they called to the company to collect offer letters , Its a mobile app dev company and i was recruted as software engineer in R&D team, i was 1 in 4 developers they took .The senior managar asked us to choose the field that we want to work 1)ios 2)android 3)windows 4).net .......since my 2 cousins are in .net platform i thought its better to tel .net..I even told them.The manager s very strict there he told here their is no training u ve to learn everything on ur own and also gave his mail id to contact him as if wat to read before joining.He even told u shud be prepared before starting to work..If we dont like ur performance we ill remove in 3months!!!..Everybody was quiet for a minute looked eachothers face...Before joining only he is talking about removing us.Thats little hurting for me i am feeling i am not secured ,Thought Y did i get placed in this compy!!!But its over now i cant do anything .Then after few days wen i met one of my CS friend ( who works in microsoft as intern ) he told dont choose .net its old and many companies want to leave .SO after that i asked so many ppl and sent him the mail i want to work on android . WAS my decision correct?
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Your decision was correct, when i was passed out in 2011 ,i was rejected by 12 companies and finally started with 5k / month in small scale start up of just 15 employees, I used to work in office for more than 11 hrs, at that time i was also cursing my luck, but as time passes i started taking interest in my work and today situation is different, the key is whenever you work, don't work for any boss, for any company, work for yourself and my friend you will start realizing the difference.

Main thing is you will learn a lot from small company, if they torcher you then I will say it is good for you, if you take it in positive way, the more pressure you will get , the more better you will be

Search on google, How diamond form? same concept applies to humans too

These are my real life observations Don't worry about anyone? It's your life and your decisions.

For parents, I understand they might had some expectations from you, but I am sure if you are really passionate about your work and hard working guy, then you will soon make them realize that you were right
  • Ramannn
    Ramannn
    But even though they are startup they are paying me 4.5lak/anum, which is decent and since i am from ec background i dono programming much .I have written programs of around 2-3 pages big thats it , Suddenly If they give me to code big programs how to cope up with that ??????

I already told them i wish to work on android but recently i read this post that got me scared #-Link-Snipped-# And makes me still worried which fielld to choose?????
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    What's the big deal, why are you getting worried before taking up the job?

In IT no one gonna give you programs like for compute where a no is prime or not ?

You will see real challenges and you have to face them
  • Ramannn
    Ramannn
    I am worried bsc i feel i am not that good in programming , i am from ec background.we study c in first sem then c ++ in 4th sem thats it ...for interviews we byheart some known programs thats it 😔
  • avii
    avii
    First, please stop using SMS lingo.
  • Ramannn
    Ramannn
    OK, sorry 😉....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ramannn
    OK, sorry 😉....
    Did you get the help you are looking for? Feel free to ask more questions/doubts until you think you've the direction.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Don't get worried about you not being good in programming.

Remember only drop outs built EMPIRES not Scholars

You can Build your own empire That is my opinion A good opportunity for you to not only learn new thing But also develop way beyond others imagination

PS: Thank God you are not a slave in TCS or Infosys Have a great time in your new atmosphere.
  • Ramannn
    Ramannn
    OK ...But Still i have confusion as to like Which is the better field JAVA or .Net ..I asked Few they told JAVA ...because .Net is OLD...but that answer Dint satisfy me .And i started learning android i could do simple apps and got to no how exactly to RUN the APP...I started doing an app for our coll fest ..It went good but i copied most of the code from net ...I Knew it was wrong 😳..But wat to do i cannot rite such big lines ....what we learnt in our classes wat just simple...I could not see a If (),while()....etc everyline is just big ..everyline calls a function ...I just got confused what to do and stopped learning
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    First I would advice you to find a book or a tutorial for .Net or Java or what ever you are planning to pursue.

Java is also old But the scope for both .net and java is not going to end in atlest 3 years so go for one which intrigues you
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    .Net or Java - the debate won't ever stop. The thing is both these technologies will stay and as a programmer you shouldn't limit yourself to any. A programming language is like a tool - but the skill lies with the person who's using the tool. Just become a great coder and which language you work on does not matter.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Few they told JAVA ...because .Net is OLD
    One up for funny quotient!!!😁
  • YepSailOn
    YepSailOn
    I have a question here, isn't Java better than .Net? because I've seen that it runs everywhere, on phones, on tablets, on computers that don't run Windows.

wouldn't .net just tie you up with a windows platform?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    See Java or .net or android or whatever doesnt matter if you are learning it.
    You are building up your logic and LOGIC is the key everywhere.. You just have to use the syntax of Java or any programming language to use.

For those operations you use google so its nothing wrong in doing that!

Ok , #-Link-Snipped-#: Stop thinking too much and join the company. Give your best in whatever you want to learn. Learn the language dont byheart it..

Trust me , you will not be laid off, even if that happens you will have the skills to get job anywhere.

Why do you have to think of your friend's opinions if they are not helping you and making fun of you?

Trust me, if you join there and learn they will learn your value sooner or later. The key is hardwork as goyal mentioned.
  • Ramannn
    Ramannn
    Thanks for your awesome advice .....Ill surely Reply here how is my work going and workculture in the company once i join ..JULY 1 is the joining date...Thanks for all those guys who gave suggestions .SPECIAL THANKS to CrazyEngineers
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Good to know you're happy with the help you received here. Be active around.
  • archlpe
    archlpe
    Ramannn
    I am a final year student ,i study in a reputed coll.We get lot of companies for placements...that makes us rite tests almost everyday so u dono on which day u ill get placed.Some lucky or unlucky day i dono i got this(dont want to mention) startup .After a week i could understand my parents ,cousin are not happy bsc i shud ve got a much bigger and better companies .Some how my dad got to no next day i ve cts and he forced me to rite ..but i dint ...wen my friends ask which company i got ...IF i tell company name their reaction is like AH?????..ok anyway u got some company..My cousin who works in TCS irritates me daily u go to that startup they ill make u to work double,they ill overload the work ,very difficult to survive ..startup are not good...etc and even my friends tease me because they got BIG companies ...AND NW i am feeling very depressed .. DONO wat to do my placments are almost over.My question is , s it GOOD to work in startups ? .The company is 150 in bangalore 1.3k globally
    Hey Ramann, working in a small company is nothing to worry about. i read a book by Rashmi Bansal (Stay Hungry Stay Foolish) where she mentions how Sintex became such a big name in India and do you know it was nothing. the person who joined that company was an IIM passout.
    To work in a small company has its own benefits, I have an article that could motivate you: - #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello! help here between this two, computer hardware trends and computer generation ,, i get some miss understanding on this issue,. someone what the explanation on computer hard trends base...
Good day everyone, Can anyone direct me to a link where I can download a Congestion Control System. Thanks
HTC One, which is rightfully called the company's novel flagship smartphone is now in India and will be available in stores at a price of Rs. 42,900/- from end of...
APU Quad core or intel i5 which is better ? apu quad core lappy is reliable can i purchase it ????
i want to prepare for ongc exam i had a grand failure in the last attempt i had a diploma in E&Tc kindly give the tips,tricks,books ,pdf any thing for...