Google voice roll out

Any new updates on the new Google voice roll out? I have heard that currently it is available to limited numbers but expected to go full scale within 6 months. What does everyone think of this expansion by Google? Will it be a hit or miss? How will it compete with landlines and cellular? Lastly, will this be the end of other voip systems?

If you have not heard about it, you can get the basic info here, in the CE-infocus forum (and elsewhere):
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    Is it something like,
    I call up your mobile and you are not around so google voice comes in and directs that call .
    I have two points
    1.Its too innovative and too good.
    2.Its it not intrusion of privacy when google steals your address book?
    will other telecos be fine with google doing this extra work for them?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Like most of Google's products, it will be a HUGE hit in the start and then slowly die within a year.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Oh, which of their products were a hit but died of that quick?

I must admit, I've been using a lot of Google services these days. Google Search, Picasa, Docs, Gmail, Blogger, Maps and Earth. Google Earth is damn useful for tracking not only on ground, but also from the air.. especially if you are flying UAV's and all. If I could have access to an Android device, I would have tried it out for sure.

MaRo would probably kill me when I say this, but I think if you have the means to try out (or buy out) all sorts of ideas, might as well do them.. failed or not. Its a positive externality. Either their services benefit some portion of the population, or others companies are motivated to do something much better.
  • gohm
    gohm
    In response to #2, doesn't the phone company, cell company & internet provider already have the capability to invade your privacy in that way and listening in? How would one more make much difference?

durga
    Is it something like,
    I call up your mobile and you are not around so google voice comes in and directs that call .
    I have two points
    1.Its too innovative and too good.
    2.Its it not intrusion of privacy when google steals your address book?
    will other telecos be fine with google doing this extra work for them?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Do you have passion to join the first WordCamp in Egypt, one of the most famous IT gatherings in the whole world? depiak has contacted Automattic, the company behind Wordpress...
Whenever I insert my pen-drive, my Anti-Virus starts displaying "BV:AutoRun-G [Wrm]" Virus. I tried Flash Disinfector Tool. But it wasn't helpful. 😔 Please Help.
hi .., i need some interesting project in electronics and communication department.. i need your guidance.. because i am doing my first year
hi , friends i recently formatted my pc and running vista now i installed oracle 10 g enterprice management into it i crated my data overhter but when i open...
hey Engineering folks, this is one of those days none can get its value except some 1337 933x out there. this is Pi day 3.14, 14th March is the birthday...