Google Play Edition Smartphones,Are They Worth It ?

When Samsung S4 was announced, within a week of release of that Samsung's Google Play edition was released,same was with the HTC One.

So, what's good about Google Play Edition ?
No unwanted applications, no bloatwares, no home skins (TouchWiz by Samsung & Sense by HTC) just pure google & among all these, frequent update as soon as the patch is released by Google.
Also, if you're living in United States then you're not bound with wireless operator, no agreements as it's unlocked, you're free to select the operator of your choice.
Handset developers are preinstalling the skins on the top layer of Android which not only changes the user interface but also added additional software features making it a bloat.In pure android you won't have any such additional layers/tweaks.

However, the price is $50 more than the bloated unlocked edition of smartphones.
Also, it is possible to root the phone & get the pure android in replace of manufacture-side bloat Android. But many users prefer not to root the device as it voids the warranty.

What's your take, CEans ?
Would you prefer for Google play edition of smartphone ?
Are they worth their price ?
Share your thought on this.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    For die-hard Android fans and developers who want to test out new apps, the Google Play Edition Galaxy S4 or HTC One are a good choice. And even though you'll have to sacrifice some features, these folks are likely savvy enough to find apps to augment what already exists in the pure Google Android experience.

I think it must be possible to turn any phone into a "pure" Google Phone. Root access to the device is the key. After you've rooted your device, you'll also have to find custom ROM.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    AbraKaDabra
    After you've rooted your device, you'll also have to find custom ROM.
    Nope. The Pure Google Android image is available in XDA Developers for S4 & HTC One.
    So, would "you" opt for Pure google or not ? Why ?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I don't think I will give it a shot. Because, I won't like to sacrifice all the additional features that the manufacturers have added to their devices. While you may not use all of them, they can be nice to have.
    Plus the timely Android updates are a must for security. Without the latest updates, you are also not getting the latest security patches.
    I think there are some important unknowns about the Google Edition phone that should be resolve. Specifically we don't know if all of the drivers for these phones are open source or if not how well Google will do in providing binary drivers that are compatible with new AOSP releases.

Correct me if I am wrong.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Its a bit difficult to read but try out...you will enjoy reading it NOTE: (Usage of two consecutive letters is for its actual pronounciation) SAMSTHAAPYA MRUNMAYE PAATHRE THAAMRA PATHRAM SUSHOBHITHAM...
With the new update at Instagram for iOS, users can - Take photos or record video holding the Instagram camera in landscape orientation Support for Cinema using front-facing camera Have...
ASUSTeK Computer, the Taiwanese multi-national has brought the world's thinnest Windows 8 tablet-cum-notebook, a truly revolutionary product of its kind to the Indian market. Now launched in India, the ASUS...
Well we all like chocolate, but only when they are freshly taken out from the refrigerator, and present as chilled solid bars. but once they are put in warm places,...
RF module is connecting in mesh network it will be showing some issue.if one to one communction is happening well but when am placing more than two modules it getting...