Google KNOL to compete with Wikipedia?

This one hurts a bit, but Google's developing a service that's going to compete with Wikipedia.

Check out what Google VP of Engineering Udi Manber has to say about KNOL here - Official Google Blog: Encouraging people to contribute knowledge

Moreover, more information about KNOL can be found at -

Wikipedia 😁 -> Knol - Wikipedia

Here's a screenshot from of KNOL -
[​IMG]

So, what do you guys say? Do we have a Wikipedia rival taking up shape? 😒 , and my question to you all is "Do we need another Wikipedia-like tool?"

Replies

• mahul
    mahul
    Like you said _k one wikipedia seems to be enough-"thank you google". But it won't cause us any trouble if there are two such things out there, maybe google could offer some thing more or different from wikipedia says, i think it might well enrich our project papers, for the better. if they contradict over something( though it hardly seems plausible they ever would), it would be a real tough call to decide.
  • Elisa
    Elisa
    Nice to know about KNOL. Wikipedia is my second favorite site, of course after crazyengineers. Google will have to struggle a lot to compete with wikipedia. Wikipedia is synonymous with encyclopedia. KNOL is bit different than wikipedia in that it will have articles authored by the contributor (selected by Google) and others contributors will need author's permission if they want to update the article.

In my opinion, Google should buy Wikipedia than trying to create another wikipedia.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans! Mozilla Foundation is known all over the world for its award-winning products: Mozilla Firefox & Mozilla Thunderbird. Tens of millions of people around the globe enjoy Mozilla’s products. Mozilla...
Hi friends,I am third year .I make a project on hybrid two wheeler.Any one please send a idea for two stroke and four stroke engines
hey, i want to build FM transceiver, where i will send CDMA codes to the transmitter so in the transmitter i am willing to be a FSK modulation process, then...
CEans, There are 1000s of social networking websites around. I personally know at least 20 persons who spend most of their online time making friends and connecting with people around...
Hello, I am doing a voice recognition rc car, i am already setting up the speech recognition kit which i got from here . I am looking for an rc...