Google Instant: What Problem Does It Solve?

Have you seen the new offering by Google? It's a big release and it's called 'Google'. G00gle Instant starts searching as soon as you start typing in the search box and presents you with different results for the keywords entered, without the user having to hit the search button. This release is perfect in line with company's obsession with speed - which is a very good thing. I'm impressed by the speed with which Google brings you the results. However, for me, anything under 5 seconds is really really fast!

Now, the important question that comes to my mind is that what problem has Google solved by introducing the new Google Instant? Earlier, the searches took about 0.18 seconds and by any measure, it's really fast. Let's say, I wish to search for Apple Pie Recipe and I begin typing "A..p..p..l..e ..." and by now, Google has already guessed that you're searching for Apple Inc or Apple Store or Apple iPhone or other popular searches. By the time I finish typing what I really want, Google has shown me multiple results irrelevant and unimportant to me. I think that wastes lot of computing power.

#-Link-Snipped-#
Google Instant!

I think through instant search, Google's behaving like a kid that starts answering without understanding the questions first. That is, even before understanding that I wish to search for apple pie recipe, Google has already told me about Apple Store, iPhone, Apple Inc. Stock prices and so on.

I wonder what problem does Google Instant solve? Anyone?

Discuss this post with fellow CEans here: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

One of the benefits of being an engineer is the  analytical tools we are exposed to during our education as well as profession. The first semester of most engineering colleges...
The company that got lot of negative press coverage because of the multi-million dollar scam devised by top bosses, has announced its financial reports. According to the report, the company's...
Adrian Harris CEans, CrazyEngineers at heart is a "community" of engineers. Today, thousands of engineers & engineering students with diverse backgrounds from over 180 countries gather on CE Forums to...
Long before when not only an OS, but a computer was like a dream to common man and computers were just mighty piece of machines, and people who used these...
XenForo - the new kid on the block is taking the forum software world by storm. An initiative by three former Jelsoft/Internet Brands employees, XenForo has already amassed ~5.5k users...