Google Fired Engineer David Barksdale For Accessing Users' Gtalk & Gmail Data

Google has confirmed that it has fired Site Reliability Engineer David Barksdale for accessing users Gtalk and Gmail private data. Google said that the fired employee could use the data to spy on and harass people which included 4 minors.

Gawker #-Link-Snipped-# -

“We dismissed David Barksdale for breaking Google’s strict internal privacy policies. We carefully control the number of employees who have access to our systems, and we regularly upgrade our security controls–for example, we are significantly increasing the amount of time we spend auditing our logs to ensure those controls are effective. That said, a limited number of people will always need to access these systems if we are to operate them properly–which is why we take any breach so seriously.”
Bill Coughran, Senior Vice President, Engineering, Google

The report repeatedly points out that how much sensitive data people have shared with Google that Google's employees can use if they wish (of course this is against their policy).

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Twitter's changing its looks and the new looks promises more on every page - [video=youtube;rIpD7hfffQo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIpD7hfffQo[/video]
why is n-channel MOSFET widely used than p-channel MOSFET?
CEans, All our members from India are celebrating Engineers day today (September 15). We all would like to know how you all are celebrating engineers day in your college.
Guys, Today's is Engineers day. So I would request you guys to do something Out of Box. Make or break something! If you have done earlier then post it here...
Few Weeks ago i received my Best thread contributor prize This is the picture of prize, i received It contained a CD and a User guide booklet,which explains How to...