Google Compute Engine For Video Transcoding - Head On With Amazon EC2!

Google getting into the cloud #-Link-Snipped-# market with its Compute Engine was one big news that came out of the Google I/O Conference this year. The cloud computing market currently ruled by the #-Link-Snipped-# is being given direct competition by the Google Compute Engine. Google's infrastructure is known to be robust and well-designed and with good performance in disk I/O, boot times, and consistency, Google may give a serious blow to Amazon's service. To test this, Zencoder, the company behind cloud video encoding service for web & mobile apps #-Link-Snipped-# some basic tests that they performed on both these services. And the results were quite remarkable.

#-Link-Snipped-#

They compared the raw transcoding speeds of  EC2's fast dual-CPU machines in two sizes: 4XL and 8XL with the current and fastest GCE single-CPU 8-core server. Considering the importance of network I/O, they also compared the transfer speeds of these rivals. The results of they witnessed proclaimed Amazon as a clear winner, but at the same time built a growing excitement for the Google Compute Engine. Is the world of cloud virtualization facing its next key player? We have to wait and see.

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Update: It looks like Apple's pushing out the Mountain Lion to the App store. The can see one instance here. Not yet available everywhere though. The download file size is...
When it comes to Telephoto lens, do you know what would amaze you more than a single product having 5.5x magnification range, excellent image quality, contrasts, corner-to-corner sharpness, ED glass...
Spilling blood and laying down corpses have always activated certain pleasure points in the brain, and gaming pub Edge has come up with a novel feature up about the consequence...
If you happen to have watched the latest Spiderman flick, 'The Amazing Spiderman', the image of the Scientist-turned-Lizard Villain is fresh in your memories. In the movie, a scientist tries...
Today's a big day for Apple fanboys. First, we told you that the Mountain Lion OSX 10.8 is up for grabs and now we're happy to inform you that Safari...