Gmail 'Undo Send' Gives You A 'Second Chance' With Sent Email

Everyone deserves a second chance in life; especially with their email and Gmail now officially gives it to you. Google's 'Undo Send' has now become an 'official feature' in Gmail. We're sure you've had your own experience of sending an email in haste that you wished you hadn't sent. Until now, there was nothing you could do after clicking on 'Send' button in your mailbox. How if you got a 'grace time' to rethink and stop the mail from actually getting delivered to the recipient's mailbox? Well, Google's got your back.

Gmail-UndoSend

Google had introduced the Undo Send feature in the Gmail Labs years ago (in 2009). Since then, the feature remained unknown to the masses. However, Google announced through their #-Link-Snipped-# that the feature is now making it to Gmail in your account settings.

The Undo Send feature will let you set your 'cancellation period' with options like 5, 10, 20, 30 seconds. If you set it to 20, then Gmail will give you a grace time of 20 seconds to stop the email from delivering to the receiver's mailbox. You will get an option to reverse your action after you have sent your email. If you change your mind, Gmail will stop the mail and not deliver it.

The Undo Send option is being made available in Gmail inside Settings -> General tab. Those of you who've been using the feature through Gmail Labs will have the feature turned on by default. Other will have to manually set their grace or cancellation period.

Gmail-Undo-Send

The feature comes to Google's Inbox app as well. It's been just a few weeks since Google opened the Inbox to everyone, without requiring an invite. We are yet to see the feature in Google Apps for Business.

We'd like to know how many of our fellow engineers use the Undo Send feature. Do let us know if it helped you from potential embarrassment by not delivering that mail you did not want to send in first place.

Replies

• prahu mac
    prahu mac
    wow a real nice move by google!!!
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Nice feature for consumers
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I really think the cancellation time is very limited. Why not give an option to undo send until the receiver has not opened it?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I am using it from long time. It's good that they released blog post for this.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello everybody, I hope I am in the right section here. I want to build a paint booth in my garage. in my free time, I love to dabble in...
Micromax India is back on the launch spree and this time its a treat for selfie maniacs among us. Called the 'Canvas Selfie Lens' smartphone, here we are looking at...
A Stepped bar is hung from the ceiling as shown in the figure. The cross section of AB=500 mm^2 and that of BC=200 mm^2. Assuming that the density of both...
InFocus is a bit late in joining the gang, but never say never. The US based smartphone maker has unveiled a new smartphone called 'InFocus M530' in India. Though the...
A team of researchers from UC San Diego have made it possible for an artificial cell to mimic an important characteristic of a living cell that makes them capable of...