Give colleges autonomy, invite foreign universities

Give colleges autonomy, invite foreign universities

A more effective university and college system, with focus on ways to make higher education more accessible, is the need of the hour, academicians said. The new government should revise the Maharashtra universities' Act, 1994, and make it more progressive. A policy change was needed to encourage colleges to come forward for autonomy, they said.
Experts stressed the need to frame policies for facilitating the entry of foreign universities, as it will make education more competitive. "The state must respond to the initiatives the Centre is taking to throw open the gates to foreign universities. It must take steps the situation demands.Or else, it will lose out in the race," Vijay Khole, former vice-chancellor of Mumbai University, said.
Rupa Shah, former vice-chancellor of SNDT University, too, seconded the thought. However, she felt that government institutions should not be given the monopoly to deal with foreign universities. "Why can't we allow both private and public partnerships in setting up centres of excellence? At the same time, fly-by-night operators have to be kept at bay. Otherwise, the students would bear the brunt of it," she said.
"Enhancement of teachers' research motivation is a must. The concept of publish or perish must be brought into activation," Shah added.
Ruia College principal Suhas Pednekar said that the state must look at ways to raise the gross enrolment ratio. Lack of infrastructure, appointment of teachers and provision for teachers' training also have to be addressed immediately.

What Do you think ?

Source :- #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Big_k I am observing from last few days that , we have got 3 to 5 members online at night but I don’t know why they are not posting...
part of this is copy and paste from another post in a diffrent thread so if it looks simalar it is. hemp you know there is actually another fuel souce...
Folks, I'm wondering if companies have started recruiting in colleges. The campus recruitments were frozen for almost a year because of the economic recession. Any update on the status of...
I've got this wall mounted air-conditioner remote control which takes one 6v 105mAh (2LR44 type) battery. Damned remote consumes the battery in about two months (sometimes less than 2 months)...
There we go and sit with Forbes, Harward Blogs, New Scientist et al. . Well, what do I say, just look here: Interviews and Publications about Stephen Wolfram: Some Verbatim...