Getting ready for the next CrazyEngineers

Dear CEans,

It's been a while we posted any update on what's happening behind the scenes at CrazyEngineers. We've been working on the next version of CrazyEngineers and as we enter the final stages of development, testing and optimizations, I thought it's the right time to inform you about what's coming in near future.

We have been dreaming about this since 2011!

CrazyEngineers is getting the biggest upgrade ever and it's the upgrade that we've been dreaming about since 2011. The old timers on CrazyEngineers may remember that back in 2011, we moved away from the old platform [vBulletin] to xenForo. The platform is the underlying software that runs CrazyEngineers.

This was done because vBulletin had its own set of issues and xenForo looked very promising. I'm proud to say, xenForo served us very well till now. But xF came in with its own set of challenges, which I'll mention below. But first, what exactly are we trying to do with CrazyEngineers?

We've always dreamt of CrazyEngineers as 'one' big online ecosystem for engineers around the world. That means CrazyEngineers has to offer everything any engineer - right from pre-engineering days till post-retirement would love to have. That is, it has to be a trustworthy friend every engineer should have. XenForo, back then, was being developed by two very talented developers and we needed a robust platform to build our future.

But xF was new and good developers were hard to find!

While xenForo is an awesome platform; the biggest issue we faced was finding good developers who could help us build the features that we wanted. We had no in-house development expertise and had to rely on outsourcing development work.

Outsourcing turned out to be a super-bad decision!

We were very unlucky when it comes to hiring good developers. Developers we hired kept aborting the projects after getting stuck at the problem and having no good documentation or online help available, and we kept hiring new ones who'd start from scratch!

We lost ~5 precious years!

After losing approximately 5 years we decided to build in-house software development expertise. We also had to avoid the problems we had seen our developers face. We, therefore, decided to pick up a platform that would help us build and test our new features rapidly. WordPress looked like an apt choice and that's how CrazyEngineers.IO was born!

The success of CrazyEngineers.io

CrazyEngineers.IO was launched on August 5, 2016 CrazyEngineers : Hello IO! as a separate entity and more essentially, as a 'test platform'. It's been developed in-house and we experimented with a variety of applications. It turned out to be a runaway success! The platform has about 35K members signed up till date, without any publicity elsewhere!

CrazyEngineers IO gave us insights into our fellow engineers' brains and we carefully listened to all your feedback and suggestions. All of that is now going into the new CrazyEngineers!

The next CrazyEngineers - What to expect

All I can say at this time is that it's going to be extremely different from what we all are used to, but that's not scary. It's going to be even more engaging, enjoyable and useful than ever before. All the popular applications from CrazyEngineers IO will become a part of new CrazyEngineers. CrazyEngineers IO will be phased out gradually as we move over to the new CrazyEngineers.com

In the next few days, we'll post teasers, screenshots and reveal more information about CrazyEngineers. If you have any questions or comments, do let us know below!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Forgot to mention - mobile app is also coming; but it's not going to be like the apps that you've to download and keep updating every few days. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I have been looking for an announcement of this kind! Since there were no new posts at all.. good to know that we are upgrading!

and waiting ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I am very waiting for the mobile app ๐Ÿ˜
  • Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    Initially i taught something is missing in CE, later i found a post Big_K post about 3.0 version of CE. Good to hear this news.
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    have seen the transition from CE 1.0 to 2.0.
    eagerly waiting for 3.0.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    hoHooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Geared up for the change. Happy that i am back at the right moment. Still i like this UI and design but on considering the difficulties CE team had faced, i understand that we should move on. All the best Team CE๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    hoHooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Geared up for the change. Happy that i am back at the right moment. Still i like this UI and design but on considering the difficulties CE team had faced, i understand that we should move on. All the best Team CE๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
    Welcome back! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Mobile App is going to be a big change for sure. And I am sure this is going to be biggest update ever on CE.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The mobile app will be launched a little later after the initial bugs, if any, are ironed out.

Curious to know how many are willing to participate in the early access program (EAP)? EAP members will get access to test server before everyone else. Their feedback will help us tweak things before we go live.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Kaustubh Katdare
    how many are willing to participate in the early access program (EAP)?
    I am in...
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Curious to know how many are willing to participate in the early access program (EAP)
    Would love to be a part of beta team.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    So good to read everyone's comments here! ๐Ÿ˜€ Await the update, it will blow everyone's minds!
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Curious to know how many are willing to participate in the early access program (EAP)?
    I am !
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I am in too for the Early access.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Are we getting any chat feature? group chat kind of?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Are we getting any chat feature? group chat kind of?
    ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update:

We are inching closer to the launch. The design and layout of the new site are final and we're almost ready with about 80% of the functionality. This means that the testing will begin in the next few days.

Because the new CE is completely different from what we're all used to, we are keeping our fingers crossed for a smooth transition of data. Initial data migration tests have been successful.

We'd share screenshots and teasers in coming days through email with all of you. Lot of exciting stuff waiting for all of us! Stay tuned!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The science-fiction vision of robotic prosthetic limbs that can be controlled by the brain and provide sensory feedback is coming closer. Stuart Nathan looks at progress in the UK. Future...
NIST scientists have built a flowmeter that can track flows of a billionth of a liter per minute in real time. Researchers Build a Microfluidic Flowmeter
I am a mechanical engineering student at the University of Waterloo on the student design team Waterloo Formula Electric SAE. I'm designing a sprocket for a rear half shaft on...
Im a mechanical final year student and after completing my b-tech , im looking forward to take NEBOSH certificate in safety. I just want to know **what are the areas...
Hi I am Prashanth from Bangalore, I have graduated as an electrical engineer in 2016 and looking for a job in Ver badly from past one year. So will it...