Generate Electricity from Lava Or Volcano - Is it possible?

Generating electricity from Wind, tidal waves, solar energy and what not has been discussed here before. I was just wondering if it is possible to generate electricity from Volcano or Hot Lava.
If we have an abundant source of heat, then it can be used to be converted into another form of energy - such as boiling water using Lava's heat, creating steam that will move turbines of a generator and thus create electricity.

Limitations:
Harnessing the heat from volcanoes is only possible and viable if it was a constant source. So, the volcano would have to be permanently active or at least the surrounding ground should be really high temperature.

Where is it being implemented?
So I googled it up and found that researchers based in Iceland had an encounter with producing power from molten lava. A geothermal borehole project in Iceland a few years ago accidentally struck magma - the molten rock that flows out of volcanoes - and it spewed superheated steam for two years.

The IDDP or Icelandic Deep Drilling Project has been drilling 5 KM Deep shafts for using the heat in the volcanic bedrock far below the surface of Iceland.

It just hit me that Lava or Volcano eruptions have the same potential as the Geothermal energy for producing power.

What are your thoughts on this?

Replies

• yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    Ankita Katdare
    Generating electricity from Wind, tidal waves, solar energy and what not has been discussed here before. I was just wondering if it is possible to generate electricity from Volcano or Hot Lava.
    If we have an abundant source of heat, then it can be used to be converted into another form of energy - such as boiling water using Lava's heat, creating steam that will move turbines of a generator and thus create electricity.

Limitations:
    Harnessing the heat from volcanoes is only possible and viable if it was a constant source. So, the volcano would have to be permanently active or at least the surrounding ground should be really high temperature.

Where is it being implemented?
    So I googled it up and found that researchers based in Iceland had an encounter with producing power from molten lava. A geothermal borehole project in Iceland a few years ago accidentally struck magma - the molten rock that flows out of volcanoes - and it spewed superheated steam for two years.

The IDDP or Icelandic Deep Drilling Project has been drilling 5 KM Deep shafts for using the heat in the volcanic bedrock far below the surface of Iceland.

It just hit me that Lava or Volcano eruptions have the same potential as the Geothermal energy for producing power.

What are your thoughts on this?
    is it possible to transfer the lava from one place to another or the heat from it?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# You should read about the IDDP project.

They blew a hole in the superheated, high‐ pressure steam for months at temperatures over 450 °C.
    They have been able to beat the world record for geothermal heat as this well was the hottest in the world and one of the most powerful.
    According to the measured output - the available power was sufficient to generate up to 36 megawatts electricity, compared to the installed electrical capacity of 60 megawatts in the Krafla power plant.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to do a project on producing dc current by combining minor energies like solar,light, sound, etc to charge a mobile phone.... is IT worthable??????? pls give ur suggestions...
hi friends the cfl is known for the electricity saving device and every house hold uses it. some days before a research came out which says that it is also...
I just noticed this on Google News? Since when do CE posts come on Google News? Did you register as media company?
Watch this video that'll tell you how exactly you should treat another human being, irrespective of color or creed. And also, think about how each of us have mis-treated or...
Title says it all, any help would be highly appreciated, plus any idea on which domain to choose, how it goes on etc. What to do / not to do...