Gas turbine modelling software

Hey guys

Anyone know of a good and free modelling software for gas turbines that can model power plants and calculate at least the basic specifications such as efficiencies and power outputs ?

thanks

Replies

• TinaT
    TinaT
    "Free", no. But you can get any spreadsheet to do most of it for you with only a few assumptions.
    Are you talking about designing a power plant from scratch, or putting together off-the-shelf items?

For example, a GE7FA GT + NE HRSG + Toshiba STG + HEI Condenser + Marley Tower can all be done in Excel if you have the OEM specs for the equipment.
  • A_87
    A_87
    Hi TinaT

I have to use an off the shelf machine so I will find what system specifications are the best for my case study so I can match them to the closest existing product.
    Bascially I want to start with the power output that the gas turbine can give me (since this is coupled to an electricity generator that powers my demand). This is a known variable (around 1MW). I then want to be able to calculate the pressure ratio and efficiencies of the Brayton Cycle I am using and most importantly be able to calculate the capacity of the turbine itself.
    Do you know what the governing equations are for each part of the Brayton cycle? I am quite confused with the equations and I would really appreciate if you could help me out with that!

I hope the above makes sense!
  • TinaT
    TinaT
    1 MW?

Sounds like a Solar Saturn 20 might be close?
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Kawasakai, Siemens and Mistubishi also have GT's in this load range for natural gas.
    If you can go diesel, there would be more options for recip engines then, too.

Using a Brayton Cycle analysis is more a design analysis than a sizing excersize. Get a good Thermodynamics text book for the equations. Cengel & Boles or Moran & Shapiro are good texts to use.
  • A_87
    A_87
    thanks TinaT, the solar20 one looks pretty good.

Do you know what type of gas turbines are used for power generation? e.g Turbojet, or 2 spool unmixed turbofan.

thanks
  • TinaT
    TinaT
    There are dual rotor gas turbines used for power generation. The GE aeroderivative units, LM2500, LM6000, etc. are based on airplane engines with the fans replaced with additional turbine stages and a tie to the generator. When you get above 50 MW, most of the options are single speed (3600 RPM in 60 HZ areas) frame units. Do a search on the GE 7FA, and Siemens 501G for more information on frame units.

"Turbojet" and "Turbofan" sound like engines designed to produce thrust for airplanes, not land based power generation units.

Found this overview today: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • A_87
    A_87
    yes thanks for that TinaT.

do you think these types of machines at the 1MW scale could realistically run on biogas?
  • TinaT
    TinaT
    Yes, with the right combustion nozzles, biogas should be usable.

They've had good luck with the larger GE LM engines with a wide range of fuels.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I don't know any programming language and i want to start with C++ .Suggest me a good book.
WAVES,a National Level Technical Symposium organized by Society of Electrical and Electronics Engineers(SEEE), College of Engineering Guindy,Anna University, Chennai fosters innovation,where the best brains in the country showcase their talent....
I am pursuing btech cse and currently in last sem. I have my interest in web like websites etc but i did some research and found that this field is...
i am doing bearing cup using cold forging i.e backward extrusion process the initial billet height is 13mm and dia 20mm my question is in how many stages i.e sequence...
🎉 🎉 Wishing MAD-Scientist a very very happy birthday! 😀 Rock on!