FTP from Windows to Solaris

Dear All,

How is FTP access given from Windows machine to solaris machine.

The scenario is that :

I have a Xp host system and Solaris as my guest OS in my vmware.
I need to tranfer some files from Windows to Solaris.?

I am using WinSCP(third party software for that).But still cant even login into WinSCP with Solaris credentials.I just gives Authentication fail

Is there any settings or configuration I have to do..

Kindly help me....

Replies

• bharathpb
    bharathpb
    Also.I am not able to ping from windows machine to Solairs..But In Solaris I get my Windows pinging...Any suggestions ??
  • subodh.gemini
    subodh.gemini
    Try this:
    Get the ip address of your Solaris server (If you don't have, your System Administrator may help). Then go to this location
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
    open the "hosts" file in notepad. make an entry at very end as follows:

for eg
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    10.164.93.23 tkp-01.svr
    Now save the hosts file.
    Please note: To make changes to hosts file, you must have complete local admin rights on your PC.
    While logging using winSCP, I hope you are using correct port and File protocol.
    ---------------
    Regards
    #-Link-Snipped-# TechnologyNext - Technology guides, tutorials, tips and tricks
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    In order to FTP, isn't it necessary to have the FTP server running on the Solaris OS?
  • subodh.gemini
    subodh.gemini
    yeah, I agree. ftp or sftp (whatever runs on ur server) must be running, but the prob bharat is facing, as far as i understand, is login and pinging to the server. so he must resolve that first.

--------------
    Regards
    Subodh
    eMail: admin[at]technologynext[dot]org
    TechnologyNext - Technology guides, tutorials, tips and tricks
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thanks for confirming. I think if FTP server is running, FTP connection can be made just with the IP address, login credentials and PORT number.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    my two cents as i have no idea about solaris systems
    is ping actually enabled on the server? Many Admins disable ICMP packets which inturn are ping packets.
  • bharathpb
    bharathpb
    Thnks Subhod. for the tips...now i am able to ping to my solaris server.

But still in Putty and WinSCP. I cant login.

Getting the error as:
    Authentication log (see session log for details):
    Using username "root".
    Access denied.

Authentication failed.
    Access denied for a root user...Is there any other pemissions I have to Specify in solaris for a root user??

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Generally,in brief my lecturer told that SCADA is computer based process of supervisory control and data acquisition and when the fault is generated a frequency will be generated at the...
please tell me ...how to make line follower using stepper motor thanks....
Hello, could someone please tell me the principle and actual method behind encrypting a data?
I got this book recently. And as usual the cover was adorned with quotes from websites and news channels praising the book. One of them actually said, and I quote...
Hey, I am TE Mech student with an assignment in Design of Machine Elements. I have to design a basic toggle jack for Chevrolet Tavera from scratch. I am quite...