Front end engineering and Design in oil and gas instrumentation

Hi all,I'm an instrumentation engineer. I'm working on oil and gas instrumentation-fresher. I need some guidance regarding Front end engineering and Design & detailed engineering in oil and gas instrumentation.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    shubhadha bhat
    Hi all,I'm an instrumentation engineer. I'm working on oil and gas instrumentation-fresher. I need some guidance regarding Front end engineering and Design & detailed engineering in oil and gas instrumentation.
    Sure. What information do you need? Could you please ask specific questions? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    As far as i Know ,lot of instrumentation is required in oil and gas,the favourite being the flow-meters!!!!!anyway,what you are searching for???
  • shubhadha bhat
    shubhadha bhat
    Currently i'm working on one project. In this project v r creating index for instruments- I/O category, Instrument tags, Signal level etc., I think this is part of front end engineering and design(FEED), what are the other things we do in FEED. After FEED then we go into Detailed engineering. In detailed engineering, we assign junction boxes, Multicore cable etc., I need to know what are the other things we are supposed to do detailed engineering.
  • shyla_r
    shyla_r
    Hi all, Is there any opportunity for freshers in instrumentation to work on any part time projects in oil and gas, and will these type of projects help in getting gud job in the same field...??
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    @shyla,i appreciate your keenness,I will apreciate more if you can answer the post,and ask appropiate questions were they are suitable
    @shubhadra : Following are required in detail engineering
    ๏‚ง I/O list
    ๏‚ง Logic Diagrams
    ๏‚ง Control Room Layout
    ๏‚ง Instrument Location Layout
    ๏‚ง Cable Schedule
    ๏‚ง Interconnection Schedule
    ๏‚ง Junction Box Schedule
    ๏‚ง Instrument Loop wiring
    ๏‚ง Vendor Engineering review
    ๏‚ง Factory Acceptance Test of DCS
    ๏‚ง Inspection of Field Instruments, Control Valves etc.

dont hesitate to ask!!!
  • shyla_r
    shyla_r
    Saurav, That was very useful information. Here is my brief understanding regarding Detailed engineering, Please correct me wherever I'm wrong. I/O list consists of data regarding all instruments after acquiring those data Cable Schedule has to be done where we assign field cables after which Junction Box Schedule in which we assign junction boxes and multicore cables. After these steps we generate Instrument Loop wiring(which includes the field instrument, Field cable, Junction box number, Multicore cable number). could you brief me about Interconnection Schedule, Vendor Engineering review, Factory Acceptance Test of DCS and Inspection of Field Instruments, Control Valves etc. And also could you explain me what are the roles and responsibilty an entry level engineer normally does in the above mentioned steps.
    Thanks in advance
  • immu
    immu
    Please i need some info about junction box. can i incorporate digital and analog signals in a same JB with same multicore cable or i need to seperate them. se4condly inputs and outputs are also needed to be seprated or not? my problem is that my plant is very small with small number of inst in a single JB(6-9 including both Inputs and outputs) what do you suggest?
  • shubhadha bhat
    shubhadha bhat
    Hi Immu,
    You can combine Digital and analog signals in the same JB and also Input and output signals can also be connected to the same however few exceptions are:
    Power signals cannot be connected to the same JB where the instrument signals are connected, For Ex: Indicating lamp needs 24VDC Power supply, This Signal cannot be connected to the JB where(TT-temperature tx) signal is connected.
    Also signals like AI/AO/DI-VF/DO-VF can be combined. but for power signal is indicated as DO-volt wetted-this signal cannot be combined with AI/AO/DI-VF/DO-VF.
  • immu
    immu
    please can u tell me what is difference between wet contact and VFC mean. nad why we need to seperate them
  • shyla_r
    shyla_r
    Volt free contact does not provide voltage, just provides open/closed condition- for ex: limit switch. In volt wetted contact there is a voltage that is passed accross- for ex: for excitation of solenoid valves volt wetted connections are provided.
  • shyla_r
    shyla_r
    Since voltage levels vary for volt free and volt wetted we have to seperate those signals, main reason being to avoid the interference between those to voltages.
  • pikachu
    pikachu
    Hi, I just joined... hope to learn something here... what about relays.. if i am not mistaken, all dry contact, we use relays.. what is the actual usage of relays???
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    actual use of relays is to convert electronic signal into mechanical signal....and thus operate on specific instruction in realtime environment
  • pikachu
    pikachu
    Hi, Thanks for your reply. Can I say that each devices have their own specific relays???
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Relays are classified depending upon their functions!!!
  • instrumentlover
    instrumentlover
    Dear Members

Im working in GAS Plant as a QC INSTRUMENTATION INSPECTOR, I want to learn FEED and change my career as Instrumentation Engineer, Pls provide me the best resources to learn.
    Waiting for your reply
    You can mail me @

Regards
    Nazeer
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    active participation is expected,you will get the resource for yourself!!!
  • jarniel
    jarniel
    shubhadha is correct, You needed new I/O for the new terminal that you want to add it is not necessary if you have old JB that you can still use for new connections. But you have to terminate new lines.You can add but you cannot adopt.correct me if im wrong.
  • jarniel
    jarniel
    sauravgoswami
    actual use of relays is to convert electronic signal into mechanical signal....and thus operate on specific instruction in realtime environment
    What those is means? As far as I know relay is a component or an accessories that switching or giving signals between N/O or N/C to drive or to give access to their designated loads.๐Ÿ˜• correct me if im wrong.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Its official! CE joined hands with its 28,000[sup]th[/sup] CEan today! [CE shrinivas is our 28,000[sup]th[/sup] CEan!] Way to go guys! Keep spreading the word & keep changing the world! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Discuss the announcement: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/announcements/11056-28-000-ceans-counting.html in the following thread! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
CEans, Following are the CE exclusive pictures of World's First Ever CrazyEngineers Banners! Banner size: 8 ft. x 2 ft. Picture#1 Picture # 2 PS: If you want them for...
i am in 3rd year engg and i am confused abt what to do next....im doing computer engg and i have sound technical knowledge......having said that,i am not very research...
Dear all How to set a colour & visibility stack up for for layer design. tell me detaily for all layers. ex: for top layer what will be the colour...