FriendFeed, Syphilis And The Perfection Of Online Mobs

[​IMG]People have always been inclined to join mobs - most people have at least one story to tell about a time that they got swept up in or had to face a crowd demanding justice for one thing or another (both of my experiences were in college). The Internet has proven to be a frighteningly efficient tool to create virtual mobs. But we note two trends that suggest a bleak future: the increase in non-anonymous mob participation and the evolution of online services towards ever more efficient and real time communication platforms that facilitate mob creation and growth like never before. Things are changing online way too fast for society and culture to adapt. Something will eventually break.I'm going to pick on #-Link-Snipped-# in this post because I believe it is the nearest thing to Shangri-La for mob justice enthusiasts. I explain why below. But first I want to compare FriendFeed to Syphilis, which may have been the "perfect" disease when it first hit Europe in the 15th century. Today Syphilis takes years to kill its victims and is easily treated with antibiotics. But back in the early 1500's it led to certain death within months.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    Catch our Bot #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I bet we do have a good number of GMAT takers. How about sharing your experiences, preparation tips, advice, queries in this section?
There is a bowl containing black and white pebbles. You pick up two pebbles randomly at a time. 1. If both are white, you throw away both of them. 2....
The need for oil and gas is increasing everyday, with much of the world still developing.
Hello friends, Today I want to tell you something interesting about online Mechanical Engineering. Mechanicalebook.com is an online exclusive reference and handbook for . This website has...
​ Often companies will claim a "sellout" in order to hype incredible demand for its product. However, these claims are pointless without any firm numbers -- after all, there's a...