Fluid dynamics modelling question

I'm trying to model the pressures and motions in this system I'm working with. Imagine two cylindrical pistons connected to each other with some tube that allows fluid flow. Now imagine the heads of the pistons are connected to each other with a bar that rests at its midpoint on a vertical support that allows levering side to side, such that when piston head 1 moves down, piston head 2 moves up and equal distance. Now, I'm working with a (theoretically) incompressible, dilatant fluid, although it being dilatant I don't think is pertinent to my question, just FYI I guess. My question is, assuming that the fluid levels in each piston reach the heads (such that no compressible air is present), when piston head 1 moves down, how do I model the response in piston head 2? I'm sure there are a few differential equations in here, but it's been a while since that class 😀

The way I'm seeing it, is that as piston head 1 moves down, piston head 2 receives force in the upward direction due to fluid flow into piston 2, and piston 2 contributes to piston head 1 moving downward due piston head 2's upward motion. Shouldn't those two force contributions essentially cancel each other out, and wouldn't I be left with just piston head 1 moving downward, with rate limited by the shear stress of the fluid through the tube? Would I just need to model the resulting motion from the delta(F) (and subsequently delta(P)) on the two piston heads, and that one piston would just mimic the other? I'm getting caught up in the coupling here...

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello folks, this is Amit, a geotechnical engineer. Surface or subsurface exploration of a particular site for collecting information related to the physical properties of soil and rock is my...
hi im in mech final yr .i wanna make project now plz u can assist me in making my parojects
Find updated answer keys below: CEans, I'm sure a great bunch of our CEans are appearing for the common admission test 2008. This thread is dedicated to CAT 2008 Answer...
hi,:dance: I'm Guna from Chennai India! I'm an engineering student, i do ECE in Chennai under Anna university! its soo good in found a good forum to hang on wit...
Try these.. 😁Engineering! the past, present, and beyond..: free Chemical engineering ebooks 2 😁Engineering! the past, present, and beyond..: free Chemical engineering ebooks