Flipkart Android App Review

Flipkart's fans note - you no longer have to use the crappy mobile website presented as an app. The much awaited native Flipkart Android app comes after 1.5 years of wait and passing about half a million downloads. Whether the total wait was worth it? Did Flipkart really get the app right? Let's find out.

App Requirements:

The app's latest version (2.2.1) is a tiny one about 3 MB in size and requires you to have Android 2.3+. I installed the app on my Samsung Galaxy Note II, running Android 4.1.2 and with my 2 Mbps connection, it took about a minute for the app to download and install.

Flipkart-android-App

The Design:

I must give it to the choice of colors the designers have chosen for the app. The black and yellow color combo looks great (IMHO) and the app requires you to login to the site before you can browse. The front page of the app presents you with the latest offers, below it is the special 'savings' offers and discounts and below it is your 'Hot On Flipkart' section that shows latest mobiles, cameras, watches and men. I think the app customises all of these based on your account history.

At the top-left corner, the app has provision for opening all the categories and the overall learning curve in getting started with the app is zero!

Ease Of Use:

Each of the categories opens the sub-categories menu. For example, I clicked on the 'Mobiles & Tablets' category and the app presented me with 'Mobiles', 'Mobile Accessories', 'Tablets' and other sub-categories. Of course there's a search field at the top of the app that lets you search for the things directly.

I tried searching for 'Galaxy Note 2' and the app presented with instant search results. The search results page allows the users to refine the search by categories. So for the 'Note 2' search, I was presented with two categories 'mobiles' and 'books'.

Feature Highlights:

1. The sort and filter features make it easier to find what you are looking for.
  2. The product images can be zoomed in and out easily.
  3. You can read reviews of each of the products below the description.
  4. The app supports all the payment mechanisms - CoD, Credit and Debit Cards, EMIs and of course, Net Banking.
  5. You can track the current status of your purchases.
  6. You can share the products by sending links via SMS, Gmail, FB, Twitter, G+ etc.
  7. The app offers complete account management right from your mobile.

Overall: The app is easy to use and I'd definitely expect it to drive more mobile shoppers and revenues to Flipkart. I didn't make a purchase (which is beyond my current budgets at the moment and also beyond the scope of this review). I do not own an Android tablet, but think that the experience won't be very different than on mobile.

I'd give this app overall rating of 4.5 on 5.

Download It from Google Store: Flipkart Online Shopping App - Apps on Google Play

Replies

• vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    Flipkart as per my opinion is the topmost online shopping website specially in India. I too trust on this website.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vikaskumar11233
    Flipkart as per my opinion is the topmost online shopping website specially in India. I too trust on this website.
    Volume wise, I think IRCTC beats Flipkart hands down. Don't have the latest figures to support this claim though. Does anyone know how many transactions and the overall volume of transactions do these websites do for a comparative study?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    design and navigation is very good 👍. Navigation is proper. Considering 1st version it's overall beautiful app.
    Some improvement needed like I was in watch category and there is no brand filter available.

Only thing: I have set my phone language to हिंदी and flipkart app is showing name बारकोड स्कैनर 😘
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    It is nice to hear that flipkart giving a android app for us as I have experienced difficulty in using flipkart via mobile.Now i feel good on this review.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Tested this application, lot better than previous bloated application.
    I would love to see same kinda application for Amazon, as I am no longer shopping from Flipkart. Amazon's service is faster,better & above all, cheaper.(talking about books)
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Just now installed and checked it out. It is having awesome user interface, simple, ease of use.Filtering seems to be best in the app.Four boxes on the top with searh,cart,home,etc.I have experienced a ease of operating in app and surfing seems elegant.
    I give handfull of 5 stars to it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HTC One Mini, the Taiwanese smartphone manufacturer's flagship phone, is going in to follow the trend of the recently launched the 24-carat gold version of the HTC One. Yep, the...
In the times, where the wearable computing gadgets are being discussed and debated all over the tech town, a surgeon from Chennai, India has become the first person in the...
Nokia’s Asha series saw a reboot in form of Nokia Asha 501 that came with Nokia’s home grown Nokia Asha Software Platform 1.0. This platform provided a new look and...
World's largest ever solar power plant with capacity of generating 4000 MW power will soon be built in Rajasthan in India near the Sambhar lake. The official authorities say that...
hey guys, i am having OPEN BOOK PROGRAMMING contest in my college , i participated in it ; but the code which will be asked is somewhat hard (medium) type...