Fixing Low Virtual Memory Problem in Windows

Virtual Memory is the space on the hard drive used as memory in case your computer's RAM falls short for the memory space required to run heavy applications like Dreamweaver, Flash, etc.

This enables your computer to use memory space much greater than what actually your memory size is.. that is why it is called Virtual Memory because it is not actually memory but your hard drive being used as memory.

In case this happens, a windows-based PC gives you a error message – Your system is low on virtual memory. To ensure that Windows runs properly, increase the size of your virtual memory paging file.

Finding Source of Low Virtual Memory Problem :

First find the source of it by checking out the Task Manager and analyzing all the programs to find which one of those is using the highest memory and closing them. This way you can close the programs which you are not actively using and those which use high amount of your memory.
Click on Windows Task Manager > View > Select Columns

[​IMG]

Next Click on Select Columns option from the View Menu and Check on Virtual Memory Size Option

[​IMG]

Next move on to the Task Manager’s main process tab and find all the programs which are using high amount of Virtual Memory and End their Process.

[​IMG]

Another option : uninstall and reinstall these high memory using programs if you don't need them for some time or because sometimes older versions of some software end up using high amount of RAM/Virtual RAM.

It is better to setup your Virtual Memory to 1.5 times of your physical memory for better performance.

Replies

• Guttu
    Guttu
    sarveshgupta
    It is better to setup your Virtual Memory to 1.5 times of your physical memory for better performance.
    You shouldn't get the error if you set VM to this. But I don't recommend this setting if you have memory more than 1GB. It may slow down your system. You should disable paging if you have more than 1GB of RAM.
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Yes Guttu actually I had RAM less than that and witnessed the error

So thought of posting the solution to others as well who might witness the same problem
  • ravendawson
    ravendawson
    Actually, you should really set the initial size and the maximum size to 1.5 times your physical memory. They should also be of the same value. Aside from preventing #-Link-Snipped-# setting the initial size and the maximum size to the said value stops the CPU from constantly changing the paging file. If you are on Windows Vista, you can change the Settings by going to the Control Panel and choosing System and Maintenance. You will see System, and in the left pane, click on Advanced system settings. Once you are in Settings, choose Change and click Custom.
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    My virtual memory size is 1024 MB & recommended is 1522MB but according to you guys it must be 1536MB should I deviate from the recommended value although I think a mere difference of 14MB shouldn't be a problem. What value should I put in?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

let me give my brief introduction Name:anusha Engineering Trade:electronics Location: hyderabad Occupation: final year student Hobbies & Interests:surfing net,badminton,intrested in research Aim in life: want to an environmentalist as well...
The domestic IT services market in India is estimated to grow from $5.7 billion in 2008 to $12.8 billion in 2013, which represents a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of...
im from the uk. and love taking things apart currently doing a race car of sorts keeps me saine .been looking for a forum like this for ages.
I really cant believe that electricity can be transmitted without the use of wires, just through some kind of electromagnetic induction. Can anyone explain the concept of wireless electricity? Has...
Loosely based on Chetan Bhagat’s bestseller ‘Five Point Someone’, ‘3 Idiots’ revolves around the lives of three boys of a high-end engineering college played by Aamir Khan, Madhavan and Sharman....