Firefox Optimization Tips & Tricks with "about:config"

Here's a way to quickly speed up your favorite firefox browser by Moving Firefox Cache to RAM -

1. Open firefox and type the following in address bar: about:config
  2. In the filter bar, type: browser.cache.disk.enable
  3. Double click on it to set it to: 'false'
  4. Similarly, find: browser.cache.memory.enable and set it to true. Could be already set in your browser.
  5. Now right click anywhere on the firefox screen and select: New -> Integer. Enter the memory size in KB you wish to allot to the cache.
  6. Set it to -1 if you wish Firefox to allot memory dynamically, depending on the RAM your system has.
Note: This method may slow down few plugins and slower first visits to sites for speedy revisits.

Give it a try and post your results below.

Replies

• 4M4N
    4M4N
    i want to share some more
    Render quickly
    Type about:config and press [Enter], then right-click (Apple users ctrl-click) somewhere in the window and select New > Integer. Type content.notify.interval as your preference name, click OK, enter 500000 (that's five hundred thousand, not fifty thousand) and click OK again.
    Right-click again in the window and select New > Boolean. This time create a value called content.notify.ontimer and set it to True to finish the job.

Faster loading
    Type about:config and press [Enter], right-click in the window and select New > Integer. Type content.switch.threshold, click OK, enter 250000 (a quarter of a second) and click OK to finish

No interruptions
    Type about:config, press [Enter], right-click in the window and select New > Boolean. Type content.interrupt.parsing, click OK, set the value to False and click OK

Increase the cache size
    Type about:config and press [Enter], then right-click anywhere in the window and select New > Integer. Type browser.cache.memory.capacity, click OK, enter 65536 and click OK, then restart your browser to get the new, larger cache.
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    hm...it's working.
    Lil slower while browsing any page firstly.Same as when you clear your cookies and it will slow down for first open of any page.
    Well i prefer to disable the photos when my internet connection is lil wid slower.
    try to disable the photos loading.
    It will increase your page loading speed to 60%.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    The_Big_K
    Here's a way to quickly speed up your favorite firefox browser by Moving Firefox Cache to RAM -

4. Similarly, find: browser.cache.memory.enable and set it to true. Could be already set in your browser.
    5. Now right click anywhere on the firefox screen and select: New -> Integer. Enter the memory size in KB you wish to allot to the cache.
    6. Set it to -1 if you wish Firefox to allot memory dynamically, depending on the RAM your system has.

Note: This method may slow down few plugins and slower first visits to sites for speedy revisits.

this adds to the memory leak problem. Not advisable for people with low ram (typically 1 gb and below).

I must say that other configs posted in this threads are no use for a firefox user if he has too many bookmarks, toolbars and lots of addons and plugins.

I had tested these long ago for my blog and results were non impressive for a slower computer.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    The_Big_K

Hello Mr Big K. I cannot find the filter bar. But i can find the browser.cache.memory.enable. Please suggest me.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Deepika Bansal
    Hello Mr Big K. I cannot find the filter bar. But i can find the browser.cache.memory.enable. Please suggest me.
    It's just the box on the top which you can use to search for the settings.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    The_Big_K
    It's just the box on the top which you can use to search for the settings.
    Yeah got that now. Thanks:smile:
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    hey. kindly post if you see improvements through the tweaks.

keep using fox for a day or two atleast before you post your findings.
  • themask
    themask
    4M4N
    i want to share some more
    Render quickly
    Type about:config and press [Enter], then right-click (Apple users ctrl-click) somewhere in the window and select New > Integer. Type content.notify.interval as your preference name, click OK, enter 500000 (that's five hundred thousand, not fifty thousand) and click OK again.
    Right-click again in the window and select New > Boolean. This time create a value called content.notify.ontimer and set it to True to finish the job.

Faster loading
    Type about:config and press [Enter], right-click in the window and select New > Integer. Type content.switch.threshold, click OK, enter 250000 (a quarter of a second) and click OK to finish

No interruptions
    Type about:config, press [Enter], right-click in the window and select New > Boolean. Type content.interrupt.parsing, click OK, set the value to False and click OK

Increase the cache size
    Type about:config and press [Enter], then right-click anywhere in the window and select New > Integer. Type browser.cache.memory.capacity, click OK, enter 65536 and click OK, then restart your browser to get the new, larger cache.
    This one works and cool.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, We launched CrazyEngineers Forum RSS subscription few days ago. The mail delivery is handled by Google's Feedburner service. I'm sure many of you have already subscribed to it and...
Can we send mail in a project from localhost?? If yes then how?
Hellow CEans... myself poonam biswakarma from assam, a 4th year CRAZY electrical enginreering student. Google led me to this site. Happy to be a member of CE nd meet the...
If your Macbook is showing no sign of shut down, and just shows a spinning wheel against blue screen, here's a quick way to fix it- Turn on the power...
I am a computer engineering student [3rd yr], am assigned to do a project on microprocessors or microcontrollers. Kindly suggest me any project, using microcontrollers [i prefer] which is neither...