Find the ratio a/b.

Sir / madam,
My question is

The arithmetic mean of two positive numbers a and b is equal to twice their geometric mean. Find the ratio a/b.

Advance Thanks,
R.Rengaraj

Replies

• sfdgfdh
    sfdgfdh
    rengaraj
    Sir / madam,
    My question is

The arithmetic mean of two positive numbers a and b is equal to twice their geometric mean. Find the ratio a/b.

Advance Thanks,
    R.Rengaraj
    (a+b)/2 = 2*root(ab)
    (a+b)=4*root(ab)
    sqr(a+b)=16ab..................................(1)
    sqr(a+b)-sqr(a-b)=2ab-(-2ab)
    =4ab
    ie, sqr(a-b)+4ab= sqr(a+b)
    =16ab [:-eq(1)]
    sqr(a-b) = 12ab ....................(2)

(2)/(1) sqr(a+b)/sqr(a-b) = 16ab/12ab
    =4/3
    find square root of both side
    (a+b)/(a-b) = +,- 2/root(3)
    if 2/root(3),
    2a-2b = root(3)a +root(3)b
    (2-root(3))a =(2+root(3))b
    a/b=(2+root(3))/(2-root(3))

find the result for negtive root urself, i think above proof is correct. if any mistake u find pls inform me! my id: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • rengaraj
    rengaraj
    Dear Faroke,
    You gave a brilliant solution.
    Thanks,
    R.Rengaraj

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

1. Watching TV Online through Internet – This option though it costs no extra money to get started, it is of not much high quality. The most important requirement would...
Virtual Memory is the space on the hard drive used as memory in case your computer's RAM falls short for the memory space required to run heavy applications like Dreamweaver,...
let me give my brief introduction Name:anusha Engineering Trade:electronics Location: hyderabad Occupation: final year student Hobbies & Interests:surfing net,badminton,intrested in research Aim in life: want to an environmentalist as well...
The domestic IT services market in India is estimated to grow from $5.7 billion in 2008 to $12.8 billion in 2013, which represents a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of...
im from the uk. and love taking things apart currently doing a race car of sorts keeps me saine .been looking for a forum like this for ages.