Final Year project based on Stepper Motor and Sensors

Hi CE peeps..😀
I am a final yr student in ECE and i was searching for some projects based on Stepper Motor and Sensors, something that involves movement after sensing something. So the first idea that came to our (me and my project mates) minds was an automated Mic. controller that adjusts the position of mic. automatically using Stepper motor after sensing the height of the speaker (position of lips). So the problem involved was the use of Digital image processing (DIP) to identify the face/lips of the speaker and moving the mic. to a position for better reception since we had little or no knowledge about digital image processing, and to add on to the misery, another classmate of ours who studied DIP as an elective subject also decided to do the same project. So the only option for us is to leave this topic and select another one😔. Since we started off with an idea like this, it is hard for us to let it go. So what i need is a project that uses Stepper Motor and some sensors to perform some useful operation. It would really appreciate if some one could help me out with suggestions of topics that involve Stepper motor motion depending on Sensor input (preferentially not using DIP). I know this is too much information but thanks a lot for any help, hope some one will reply soon.

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    One idea from my side.

Have you seen the CNG kit for the Car?
    in that there is one stepper motor and its movement is upward and downward, it controls the flow of the gas according to sensor but it may be costly for the student to use that Oxygen sensor. and according to that sensors output you have to control the steps of stepper motor.

How's this idea?
    let me think about another option for the sensor.
  • djyshak
    djyshak
    Thanks a lot for the reply godfather, i might have to search about the CNG kit and its working. But is there any way i could change the Mic. controller system by taking off the whole DIP part and modify it in some way so that it may seem different from what my friend is doing. I know its too much to ask for but i feel totally blank up there, i just cant think of any new ideas. I'll try my best to think of some new topics, meanwhile different kinds of ideas are welcome. Thank you again for the reply.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    See one more option..

You have to control Stepper motor based on the temperature. Means you have to measure the temperature and according to that temperature you have to control the ON-OFF of stepper motor.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Are you thinking in the lines of robotics?? Get in here- #-Link-Snipped-#
  • djyshak
    djyshak
    Thanks Ajith... i will go through the CE Robotics section and see if i can grab anything useful..
  • djyshak
    djyshak
    I was thinking of making a system that allows automatic parallel parking facility for cars. what do you guys think, should i proceed with it?
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    djyshak
    I was thinking of making a system that allows automatic parallel parking facility for cars. what do you guys think, should i proceed with it?
    Tell us a few more things about it, like whether it s going to be fully automatic or manned(semi automatic). Just describe your idea!
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I remember one of our Cean is working on the similar project not sure.

Which features you want to cover in this project?
  • djyshak
    djyshak
    What we are planning to do is Autonomous Self Parallel parking car, it is a feature where the car will identify the parking space by itself, calculate and see if the space is sufficient and then parallel park by itself. We are planning to implement it on an RC car and our reference paper is #-Link-Snipped-#. It makes use of Distance Sensors and MCUs as you can see in the paper.

and this is how it will look if implemented properly

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

this sure sounds interesting but i have no idea how to pull it off, and about implementing this idea on a real time car is still something to think about (even though a few higher end models of BMW and Volkswagen have this feature😒, (not in India of course)). i hope i can rely on you guys in CE for any help.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    djyshak
    What we are planning to do is Autonomous Self Parallel parking car, it is a feature where the car will identify the parking space by itself, calculate and see if the space is sufficient and then parallel park by itself. We are planning to implement it on an RC car and our reference paper is #-Link-Snipped-#. It makes use of Distance Sensors and MCUs as you can see in the paper.

and this is how it will look if implemented properly

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

this sure sounds interesting but i have no idea how to pull it off, and about implementing this idea on a real time car is still something to think about (even though a few higher end models of BMW and Volkswagen have this feature😒, (not in India of course)). i hope i can rely on you guys in CE for any help.
    Dude This paper and project is really awesome but still there is no any reference circuit for the project...and you must have to decide or finalize the circuit diagram before you are going to work on that.
    You can use RC car for your project isn't it? there is no need of real car i think so.
    From this paper you get the only basic concept that what you need in this project.
  • djyshak
    djyshak
    godfather
    Dude This paper and project is really awesome but still there is no any reference circuit for the project...and you must have to decide or finalize the circuit diagram before you are going to work on that.
    You can use RC car for your project isn't it? there is no need of real car i think so.
    From this paper you get the only basic concept that what you need in this project.
    yes, that is an issue, it just covers the theoretical part and algorithm modules. we have to finalize the circuit and figure out an algorithm to implement it.

We can use an RC car but during the review, we have to present the modifications required in the system for a real time car, like the range of sensors and blah blah . Convincing the panel to accept this project is the main task ahead of us right now.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    djyshak
    We can use an RC car but during the review, we have to present the modifications required in the system for a real time car, like the range of sensors and blah blah . Convincing the panel to accept this project is the main task ahead of us right now.
    Hmmm. That is a real burning issue. But you know one thing, that issue should be considered as issue no.2. I hope you know what issue no. one is. You HAVE to present the RC car's specs. So, do that first. Prepare that. Help for the second issue will be delivered. I assure you of that.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    djyshak
    yes, that is an issue, it just covers the theoretical part and algorithm modules. we have to finalize the circuit and figure out an algorithm to implement it.

To convince the panel you have to show some data that impressed the panel and also get convinced that from this data you can at-least show demo when they need it. and right now don't worry about Real time as right now you have to go with RC Car if its working properly and 100% OK then that is not that much difficult. If possible then try to get guidance from your any experience faculty if they can give you any reference design. I am trying my best to find some data ( Reference Circuit for the same ).
  • djyshak
    djyshak
    thnx godfather and aj_onduty for the reply.
    the first review is on 10th dec., panel will try their best to rip us off, we have to overcome all the pressure and convince them to accept this topic. i guess the theoretical blocks, basic algorithm and component details will be enough for the first review. Meanwhile i should try to obtain a reference circuit. I hope i can rely on CEans for any help. thanks again.
  • djyshak
    djyshak
    We had our first review today, it was OK, they accepted the topic. They wanted us to do slight modifications in the components we planned to use. There were all sorts of dumb questions but we managed it somehow. They wanted it to be a direct implementation of the actual car but performed on a miniature one. They asked us all sorts of things about mechanical working of the car, which we obviously had no clue of, like about differential logic, braking system and all. One of the panel members had no idea what H Bridge is and he asked as not to use it.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    H-Bridge is used to drive the stepper motor for wheel. if you are not going to use H-Bridge then is there any option?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I believe H-Bridge is used to drive a DC motor.
  • djyshak
    djyshak
    yes we need the H Bridge to drive the motor, we will use it anyway.

is there anyone from CE who can help us out with the Mechanical Engineering part of this project because we need to show something regarding real time cars and the working as a comparison for the project like what all changes should be made to make this possible on a real time car ( engine and gear system and all)

one of the panel members was smart enough to ask how this function will work on a slope, we somehow managed to shut him up.

i was going through this - YouTube and its said that the driver needs to control the accelerator and brakes while the system will do the steering properly. please check it out.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Like the mobile phones, can digital cameras be developed so that it has the bluetooth mechanism or any other mechanism by which one can share his/her photos and recordings with...
Advantages of the GRE revised General Tests: The test will be more friendly and you can edit or change your answers, skip questions and more all within a section. There...
I was looking at the stats and found out that we've quite a large number of CEans visiting CE central India. The number is in thousands. So why not host...
Ceans from North India .Please post your preferred locations here :- My Preferred locations are 1:- Punjab 2:- Delhi 3:- Noida
Curious to see who views your Facebook profile page? You're out of luck. Status updates, Facebook groups, and pages claiming to let users see who has viewed their Facebook profile...