Facebook & Mozilla Begin “Occupy Flash” To Eliminate Adobe Flash Player

Ah, the Adobe Flash Player, the browser plug-in responsible for delivering those data heavy graphics and video players on your browser. The software that asks itself to be updated every now and then and yet remains the cause of some of our worst browsing experiences. The Adobe Flash Player manages to be in the news because of its insecure architecture. Most recently, the Adobe Flash Player Zero-Day Vulnerability Exposed In Hacking Team Leaked Files led to the revelation of a critical bug that could allow an attacker to hijack a person’s computer remotely. As HTML5 emerged as a faster and secure alternative the aging technology has been receiving the boot from many arenas.

Adobe Flash Player

Just yesterday, Alex Stamos, the recently appointed chief security officer at Facebook went #-Link-Snipped-# to ask Adobe to announce the end-of-life date for Flash. He also said that browser developers should be ready to deploy Killbit as soon as Adobe retires the Flash Player. He #-Link-Snipped-# that it is essential to set an end date as it will help web developers across the world to get rid of Flash Player in a controlled manner at once instead of doing it haphazardly. Today, his statements were put into action by Mark Schmidt, the head of the Firefox team at Mozilla, #-Link-Snipped-# that all versions of Adobe Flash (including the latest one) #-Link-Snipped-# on Firefox. His tweet was accompanied with a small picture that said “Occupy Flash” which is a reference to the 2011 “Occupy Wall Street” movement. You have to note here that users of Firefox are free to enable the Flash Player if they want to by going into the Add-ons menu.

Occupy Flash

Apple had despised the Flash Player since ages and Is Apple killing competition by not supporting Flash? on its mobile devices for the sake of stability. Google was next to ditch Flash Player on Android by Flash For Android No More - RIP Adobe Flash Player after Android 4.1. With YouTube ditches Flash and defaults to HTML5 making HTML5 as the default player there was no reason to install the Adobe Flash Player on your browser. Adobe knows that the days of Flash are over because a while back it unveiled the #-Link-Snipped-# to replace Flash.

Our questions to the readers is this, has the final nail in the coffin been delivered or will Flash continue to survive? Head to the comment section to make your opinions heard.

Source: Mozilla blocks Flash as Facebook security chief calls for its death - The Verge

Replies

• Jessica Wakefield
    Jessica Wakefield
    Thanks for sharing news with us. As I can judge, stopping using Flash is a starting point of changing way of receiving and processing media information. HTML5 can easily substitute an old unsafe Adobe's player. My team and I have often faced various issues caused with flash player. Hope it all is finally over.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi friends, I am currently pursuing M tech thesis in advanced networking branch. Kindly enlighten me with the network simulators that I can make use of in order to simulate...
Started working on 3 module based project..
Mtech from IIT in mechanical or MS from US or continue job on my BE degree
Hello friends, I am struggling with my credentials in terms of their storage and management. There are about 50 credentials that I am finding challenging to manage. Is there a...
Hi friends, How can I increase my rating and points on this website? What is the criteria by the way?