Facebook Bans Indian Accounts For Using The "C" Word!

I've been getting messages that the social networking giant, Facebook has began banning several accounts that used a most common Hindi slang word that begins with 'C'. While the derogatory word used in Hindi may call for account ban, it's definitely upset the The All Assam Chutia Students' Union (Aacsu). The pronunciation differs and it's pronounced as 'soo-ti-yaa' but Facebook has one rule for everyone.

Read the TOI coverage: #-Link-Snipped-#

This step taken by Facebook seems to be sequential to the policies set by the Indian government that no derogatory content would be allowed to be posted on the site. What do you think?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The government is full of 'C's (not limited to the FB banned 'C's): Controls, Caveats, Corruption and Cover-ups.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Take away my freedom to say what I want to say (meaning, take away my internet) and there's so little keeping me from carrying my frustration with the government on to the streets.

As you can see, I have very strong feelings about freedom on the internet.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Should we not have a song of the CEan? This one I_Engineer has a catchy tune: With all the skills available on CE it should be a snap! I loved...
Director of USA Science & Engineering Festival 2012 has just sent an email to us. Check it out - I am asking for your assistance to bring people to the...
CEans, We introduced the tagging feature on CE a few days ago and it had its own limitations. But today, we're happy to launch improved tagging that works on usernames...
I've often envisioned a place where every individual gets to talk in his/her own mother-tongue and there's no problem in communication. Microsoft, at TechFest 2012 has demonstrated a similar technology...
I would like to know how to specify a belt, when purchasing one. besides stating its type (flat, V , round or rigged) , what else should you specify ?...