F1 Cars

Hi Friends,
A Formula One car is a single-seat, open cockpit, Open Wheel Car racing car with substantial front and rear wings, and an engine positioned behind the driver, intended to be used in competition at Formula One racing events. The regulations governing the cars are unique to the championship. The Formula One regulations specify that cars must be constructed by the racing teams themselves, though the design and manufacture can be outsourced
Aerodynamics have become key to success in the sport and teams spend tens of millions of dollars on research and development in the field each year.[​IMG]
The aerodynamic designer has two primary concerns: the creation of down force, to help push the car's tyres onto the track and improve cornering forces; and minimizing the drag that gets caused by turbulence and acts to slow the car down.
Several teams started to experiment with the now familiar wings in the late 1960s. Race car wings operate on the same principle as aircraft wings, but are configured to cause a downward force rather than an upward one. A modern Formula One car is capable of developing 6 g lateral cornering force (six times its own weight) thanks to aerodynamic downforce. The aerodynamic downforce allowing this is typically greater than the weight of the car. That means that, theoretically, at high speeds they could drive upside down.
Early experiments with movable wings and high mountings led to some spectacular accidents, and for the 1970 season regulations were introduced to limit the size and location of wings. Evolved over time, those rules still hold largely true today.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Tata Sky has developed an android/ios mobile app that turns your phone into Tata Sky remote. You can perform all the actions via your mobile that you can do with...
Mozilla & Samsung have joined hands to develop 'Servo' - a new web browser engine from ground up. In a blog post, Mozilla, the company behind Firefox, said that their...
Hlw. This is Subrata Frm International Islamic University Chittagong, Bangladesh. I've joined her to know mny things i didn't know yet and share something i knew yet.
Hi everybody, How are you? I am new here and I am happy to join here.
HIII EVERYONE, this is MOHAMMED ABDUL QUDDUS (a.k.a AATIF) a civil engineering final year student from hyderabad......I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM AND NEED HELP FROM ALL THE MEMBERS OF...