Excel Tip: Merging Two Cells Without Losing Data

CEans,

Following excel tip might come handy at times. Say, you want to merge two excel cells without losing data -

First Name
| Last Name
John | Lennon
Paul | McCartney

to single column like this

Full Name
John Lennon
Paul McCartney

You can do that by using Excel's CONCATENATE Function. Here's how -

In any unused column, enter this-

=CONCATENATE [A1, " ", B1]

(Replace A1, B1 by the column numbers)

Press tab and whoa your get what you want

You can simply hover your cursor at the bottom right of the cell until + sign appears and then drag to copy the formula to all the cells.

Works like charm and may save you lot of time in future. [​IMG]

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K
    First Name | Last Name
    John | Lennon
    Paul | McCartney

to single column like this

Full Name
    John Lennon
    Paul McCartney

You can do that by using Excel's CONCATENATE Function. Here's how -

In any unused column, enter this-

=CONCATENATE [A1, " ", B1]

(Replace A1, B1 by the column numbers)

Oops Biggi !!

Here concatenate will join the columns and will show First NameLast Name.

I am puzzled that is there any way by which in 1st row I can see only the common value of the 2 cells 'Name' only.

-Crazy
  • priti00
    priti00
    Let me try this and will let you know ... just a moment ... I am going to use this rite now ...

Mate excel is showing this message - Not a Valid Name. I think I am missing something here. Will you please tell us more.
    crazyboy
    Oops Biggi !!

Here concatenate will join the columns and will show First NameLast Name.

I am puzzled that is there any way by which in 1st row I can see only the common value of the 2 cells 'Name' only.

-Crazy
    1) It will seperate First Name and Last name by a space as formula contains a space in concatenation! 😀

2) Yes, you can see common value. But, elaborate your requirement a little more so that I can give you exact formula.

Thanks!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

what is the output of 'c++' code????? void main() { int num=190*300/300; cout<<"num:"<
Hi everybody, I am a spanish student. I am not exactly studying civil engineering. I am studing "degree in Public works technical engineering, specialized in transport and urban services" that...
Is there anyone who has bought civil engineering instruments from AIMIL company or has procured civil engineering consultancy services?
hi, i have used the micro controller 89C52 for sending data into PDA mobile. i searched lot for RS-232 to USB converter so i can send my data thro' USB...
HI FRIENDS : I WANT CIRCUIT THAT HAVE(4 RELAYS - 1 BUSH BUTTON - LAMP) IF I PRESS THE BUSH PUTTON THE LAMP IS TURNED ON IF I PRESS AGAIN...