Even fewer women at IIMA this year

The participation of women candidates in the Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP) at the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIMA) this year has seen no improvement since the last two years. While the number of girls offered admission at the institute's flagship course dropped from 16% in 2009 to 11% percent in 2010, the figure has dropped to 10.9% this year.

The institute's final admission list on the basis of Common Admission Test (CAT) and personal interviews were declared by the on Monday. A total of 376 admission offers which included 182 general candidates, 104 from non-creamy other backward classes, 56 from scheduled castes, 22 from scheduled tribes and 12 differently-abled students.

Talking about the decline of the participation of girls in the admission to the PGP, faculty at IIMA Diptesh Ghosh who was involved in the institute's admissions process said, "Number of girl candidates is not a part of our mandate during the admission process."

Preferring to remain anonymous a faculty of IIMA explained, "It is a larger issue. It depends on how many girls took part in the Common Admission Test and how many of them were able to make it to the interview calls for the institute."

As usual, engineering students have dominated the batch with a total of 94.15% students from engineering background. The rest of the students include 3.5% from commerce background, around 2.5% from science and the rest from agricultural background. Unlike last year, there is no candidate from the arts stream this year.

source:Even fewer women at IIM-A this year | Ahmedabad News - Times of India

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What would be the reason for this declining percentage?
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    one reason that i'd give would be there are less girls trying for MBA. even when i attend the coaching classes or any seminars on CAT one can notice less girls present. the CAT 2010 had around 2 lakh people writing it but less than 50,000 were girls. looks like girls prefer to do their masters in science and engineering ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

and as such i've seen so many parents being sceptical about letting their girls do an MBA. i've seen it in my friends case too. she was kinda interested in going for an MBA but her parents were totally against it and asked her to sit for placement instead ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @Civilprincess: But this is really shocking. There is no reason for girls not going (or parents) not allowing girls to go for MBA.
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    that's what was shocking for me too. because my parents are so supportive too. but when i saw it in my friends case i was baffled ๐Ÿ˜
  • ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    I think this fall is due to girls showing more intrest on M.Tech or happy with their jobs after Bachlor's. I think they are not even applying for civil services. Indian engineering services is also a great field.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey all CEan's. I am Surya. Doing my B.tech in Electronics and communications branch. Found this site while i was on a great search for a mini project. Very much...
i am making my final year project in electronics .my topic is accelerometer controlled robotic arm .i cannot proceed with circuit diagram and coding of it can any one help...
Amazing Flying Robot Builders! [video]https://www.newscientist.com/articlevideo/dn20018/753924253001-acrobatic-flying-robots-steal-the-show.html[/video] Acrobatic flying robots steal the show - tech - 24 January 2011 - New Scientist Bioramani
guys im plannin to make up a robot using a human brain... In oders words the person can b reborn again... Can it b possible???
What worked for cars can work for trains: railway engines will soon be hybrid: Hybrid locomotives: The Prius principle | The Economist Bioramani