EVDO Vs CDMA 1X - Is there any difference?

Communication engineers, please help me understand the difference between EV-DO and CDMA 1X.

I'm totally clueless.

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I'm using CDMA 1X. It sucks, but at least it gets me through my daily internet needs without having to wait in the college internet center for my turn..

I dont know about EVDA, though.

I'd prefer Tata Indicom's Photon plus. Couple of my friends are using it and they say it's great..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm interested in technical difference between the two. My EVDO device keeps on display EVDO or 1X.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    alright,

see, when we say 2g or 3 g or 2.5 g we talk about various different technologies within these generations and progress from these into furture ones lead to other techonlogies
    say for example:
    GSM(2G) --> GRPS (2.5G) ----> WCDMA(3G)
    TDMA(2G) -->GPRS(2.5G)-->EDGE(not successful 2.75G) -->WCDMA(3G)
    CMDA(2G) -->CDMA ix RTT -->cdma2000 1XEVDO (3 G)

its just that all differ in data rates provided.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    EDGE was part of the GSM tree as well.

So yeah, regarding the EVDO thing, if it displays 1X on your device its on the slower speed (if it means 1XRTT), while EVDO is the faster "mode". This entirely depends on the coverage and availability of EVDO (which can fluctuate given environmental factors and capacity).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

echelon 2010 (formerly known as unConference Singapore) aims to be at the frontier of the Internet and web technology landscape, where the main focus will be in bringing together the...
Hi i got interest and want to do some research on 'Social Networking Cloud Computing' concepts . . Can anyone tell me the materials where i can get the very...
hi i have a technical seminar in next week and im thinking of doing "tsunami alert system using iss" and i want ur help on this topic and want i...
hi..i'm in 3rd year cs and i need to do industrial training of 3o days as my university syllabus,,,so can you suggest me in which field i should take it...
Wondering what are the factors that limit (or matter) in wireless data transfer techniques. Any knows what's the max data transfer capacity available today (MB/GB) per second?