Engineering Students Have No Respect For Lecturers

When I interact with engineering students I see a deep decline in the respect they have for their lecturers. In my times (I graduated in the first half of last decade) we never used our lecturer's first names in our conversations and whenever we talked about them, their names were used with respect. But looks like times have changed. One can't figure out whether the students are talking about a lecturer or a friend.

I believe the shift's happened because of the declining quality of lecturers as well. Lecturers who're just grads are most of the times employed by the colleges. These lecturers have no deep knowledge of their subjects and it makes the students lose respect for them.

What do you think?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    *deep decline in the respect* - I agree
    Respect for any person comes first from his/her knowledge and dignity & later due to his age. (though both have to be considered)
    In our college, what they call 'senior lecturers' have no idea about the basics of computer science. They argue with students about unnecessary issues just to show that they are in power & can 'control' students. Had they any knowledge, they wouldn't have to prove that they are in power.

And it's futile to talk about the younger ones.
    I expected a lot from young lecturers. They must have fresh ideas and must be ready to bring forth newer ideas/ways of explaining things, but all I see is their reluctance to teach. They are often found sulking about how they have to do a lecturer-job because they couldn't get placed in the campus recruitment. They are always behind shortcuts. Ready-made notes & presentations from the internet are provided.
    What a great example they set before first year students. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The deep decline is due the one big problem.

When I was studying , I know a senior student and a year later he was teaching us Power Systems, and the surprising thing is he failed in Power systems twice ๐Ÿ˜›

May be she studied too much that he is teaching that now.

SO, as AKD said respect comes from Knowledge. A slight different topic , the respect to our own leads (in companies) will also depend on thier knowledge level.
    And believe me I know people with little or no knowledge leading team in our company.
  • MegaByte
    MegaByte
    I agree with AKD. Respect for lectures comes from the knowledge they impart, through which the students can explore the specific domain. But todays scenario is completely different. We hardly find any lecturer who solves the doubts of the students. In my college there are such lecturers who just come in the class, reads out the contents of book and its done. No explanation is regarded with it.

So, if such is the case then how can the respect come for the lecturers. ๐Ÿ˜•
  • scottaleger
    scottaleger
    Yes I agree with you I my college time i have no respect also for my Lecturer.

But now days i feel guilty.

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    One more main thing is that, they do not encourage students to get their creative ideas out. Consider our simple example. The final year projects. I was shocked to find that an engineering college [Name not Displayed] had set rules by the principal that the final year students should do projects only in a project institute and not by their own! WTH! Where is this world going! These people fear that if the students come to know more than the knowledge of a lecturer, they feel kinda guilty! Do you agree?
  • yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    One of my teacher says that,"Don't say that your teacher has no knowledge or they don't know how to teach.they are trying their level best to teach you with in their limits/capabilities. Try to get as much as you can from them".So i respect my teachers and I know their values. And i am proud that i study under those teachers who gave me valuable knowledge of mechanical engineering.I owe them a lot.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've seen many lecturers who try to 'avoid' answering technical questions asked by students.
    The_Big_K
    I've seen many lecturers who try to 'avoid' answering technical questions asked by students.
    Particularly when a new idea or conceptualization comes... ๐Ÿ˜

One frustrating thing happened in my life, which made me think that those involved teachers are fit of nothing in the world. My sincere apologies to all the teachers including those am talking about. I went to an open source conference at STPI (Software Technology Park of India, Chennai), where I presented my own concept of networking PhDs, Students, and Industrialists. You can even see the live project at SourceForge.net, the project name is Research Connect. I explained the whole roadmap and stuff about it at the conference.

After the conference was over, a person from a big company, came to me and asked me if I could work for them to complete the project and give it to them as they want to patent it and use it for their internal use. I was somewhat not confident in giving them the project and said them that I will discuss with the lecturers and I will let them know. They gave me their business cards and asked me to contact and they said they would pay me about 10K or something for the work.

Finally at the college I did the same presentation. The response from the lecturers were a big and loud yawn! They didn't even consider it as a new concept. They said its nice, don't give the rights to them and it needs to be implemented at our college and all. Finally the talk about implementation, I presented the project in front of the HODs, and the Principal. They gave a good applause and went back to the work. I was so guilty to contact that company, which gave me the offer too! Finally I lost my confidence with these so called ******* (they are just asterisks!) and I gave up speaking to them about this.

Conclusion: I lost a recognition, a funding, a motivation, last but not least, I lost a chance to prove myself to the world! If this is the situation with the current staffs, how do you expect a student to respect them? Biggie, I need an answer from you.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    Now a days many times lecturers are new. I mean lecturers are just pass out student.
    Again many times senior lecturers are do not take interest in new ideas. But new lectures are interested in it.
    Actually in my collage my lecturers (senior & junior) are very friendly so we never fear to ask anything. This indirectly transfers to no respect. BUT THIS NOT MEAN THAT WE DO NOT RESPECT OUR LECTURERS
    See what do you say from my argument? Is it worth giving the basic respect for these kinda people? I meant those who are fit for nothing and making stuff complicated and useless? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  • manishks
    manishks
    ,Mr Bigk hope you remember me sir! I joined CE last year. I was giving competetive exams then. I joined a college in banglore. It,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    musicfreakmandy
    ,Mr Bigk hope you remember me sir! I joined CE last year. I was giving competetive exams then. I joined a college in banglore. It,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    please do not use sms text & other such things. Try to post your reply in good English language.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Friends, Well, as a Web Developer I had to make sure that my servers (which are running in my home PC) are accessible outside of the system. For that, I...
Google has decided to wind down Google Labs. In many cases, this will mean ending Labs experiments, in others Google will incorporate Labs products and technologies into different product areas....
Step 1: Your Mac must have an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor to run Lion. You can figure this out by clicking...
โ€‹ TechSparks 2011 App4India is a YourStory initiative powered by Intel to shine the spotlight on the best mobile/netbook apps in India. The contest is open to all developers based...
CEans, Unless you comment on the VoiCE articles, we'd never know whether you're reading them or not. The VoiCE articles are full of awesome updates which not only improve your...