Engineering Education Gets Its Own Reality TV Show

This is interesting. How are present day teens/tweens are being inspired. A Reality show geared to solve engineering problems by young students (9 to 12? wow)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Reality television has exploded in popularity over the past few years, introducing everything from survival on a deserted island to ballroom dancing to the private lives of celebrities to our collective consciousness. But can reality TV boost the popularity of engineering? Better still, can it teach engineering principles to a young audience of that notoriously hard-to-reach demographic known as “tweens” (children between the ages of 9 and 12)?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our goal is to break down stereotypes about engineering and to demystify science and math for children,” says WGBH special initiatives manager Thea Sahr, who helped develop the show. “Kids have a tendency to drop out of science at a pretty young age. But with “Design Squad,” we’re trying to get kids comfortable with math and science before they decide it’s all too difficult.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sahr believes “Design Squad” will attract the ever-elusive tween audience because it answers the “So what?” question. It will do this, she says, by showing its young audience how math and science concepts are applied to real-world applications such as the projects the teams undertake.[/FONT]
Full news at: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    This is some great news. I remember one TV Show producing company had approached us couple of months back for having CEans for their show. I haven't heard from them since long.

Engineering education going on TV is very interesting!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Thats great stuff!

Here's another interesting reality show concept I came across a while back. Its called Nerd Girls, where a group of engineering girls work together to build a solar power car.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Of course, its probably more aimed towards females, since there is "drama" and what-not. Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll beat those rubbish reality shows at MTV.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Yeah... well we have had some engineering on TV earlier. Remember Junkyard wars on Discovery Channel? But nothing for youngsters.

I had participated in a Bridge Building from straws and match sticks contest in a tech fest at IIT Chennai. But never made it to final round. They had aired the final on local Tamil channel.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    well tesh fest were the only way of publicising engineering,couple of shows did air on TV but they didnt acquired good TRP ratings...tats a great news!!!
  • mksimith2
    mksimith2
    lol
    that is right!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I could really use the opinion of someone who knows what they're talking about - sorry for asking here, but this is the only...

Hi

😁 Hi i am gajender yadav an civil engg. i am very happy 😁to be a part of. I complete my Diploma in 2004 from Rohtak (Vaish collage). now i...
Hi Friends, First of all-I m sorry if this thread is posted in the wrong section. I need your suggestions, so please do help me. i had just entered into...
Hiii all, How do we design a Polar NRZ Encoder with detail circuit? Thank you.
Hmm. Well, first of all, I think the title of the post IS a debate topic. I'll refrain myself from posting an introduction to the topic. Feel free to comment...