Engineering as a career option - India vs. Abroad

Every year thousands and thousands of students in India are dreaming about becoming an engineer. Flocks of students are seen entering and leaving the so-called coaching classed for their entrance exam preparations to get into the best engineering college in their area (and sometimes even changing their hometown for the same). AIEEE, SEEE, IIT/JEE etc. there are all sorts of choices for a student wanting to become engineer, depending on how well a he/she thinks he/she can perform. So, if a child score 90%+ in the 10th boards, he can immediately start thinking on getting admission into his favorite branch in the Indian Institute of Technology. Though we see a majority of the students going in for the basic branches like - Electronics, Electrical, Mechanical, Computer Science, IT or Civil: there are really several other branches that are being flocked by students these days. To list down the primes ones we have -

• Agricultural Engineering
  • Aeronautical Engineering
  • Architecture
  • Automobile Engineering
  • Biomedical Engineering
  • Biotechnology
  • Broadcast Engineering
  • Communication Engineering
  • Ceramic Technology
  • Chemical Engineering
  • Civil Engineering
  • Computer Engineering
  • Environmental Engineering
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Earthquake Engineering
  • Electronics Engineering
  • Fire Engineering
  • Genetic Engineering
  • Industrial & Production Engineering
  • Instrumentation Engineering
  • Marine Engineering
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Metallurgical Engineering
  • Mining Engineering
  • Material Engineering
  • Nuclear Engineering
  • Ocean Engineering
  • Petroleum Engineering
  • Plastic Technology
  • Polymer Engineering
  • Rubber Technology
  • Space Technology
  • Textile Industry
Though the recent trends in the society would make one think that the Indian students are really going in the science & technology sector in full-swing, that hasn't yet reflected well in the technological progress of the country.
A lot of students are opting for courses in B.E. (Bachelor of Engineering) and B.Tech (Bachelor of Technology) just because hundreds of new colleges are popping up in every state and somehow they're being told that 'studying engineering' is their sure shot ticket to a well-paid, happy life.
Somewhere we see that the actual sense of 'engineering' has taken back seat and it has become a thing that people are venturing into mindless just to make quick bucks.
But, even is that happening? Sadly, no!
But, if you go and see what's happening in the countries outside India - there seems to be a direct proportion between the individual student's interests and his/her career paths - Both grow with time and appropriate studies. Those who are really passionate about technology and want to supplement their knowledge with research work, go to universities to take up a degree and then venture into R&D work.
I think it's time we dont think Engineering just as a career option, but a way of life. A way that involves personal progress as well as that of society.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The most asked question to the career counselors these days isn't - Should I go for medical or engineering or commerce? It is which branch of engineering should I select?...
If you thought Disney teams only specialized in building awesome theme parks, here's how Disney research teams use their knowledge from the theme parks into excellent robotics. Disney Theme Parks...
I want to build that static electricity ball just like the one's which make hair to project outwards just like this. Is it cheaper & easy to build? Please help...
i did my B.TECH(cse) i am planning to do M.TECH. which one is better for better life 1. computer science engineering 2.computer science 3.computer networks & information security 4.information technology...
XBOX Loop (or Infinity or 720,name it whatever you want) has come up with one big change in their hardware & it is Blu-ray drive. Yeah BD ! During X360...