Engine starting and stopping..

I have a basic(silly!!) doubt about it.. When an ic engine(say 4 stroke) stops, it may stop at any position. When an engine is started, fuel supply and spark is given. But how its possible that it starts to run again in the same direction(CW-CCW)??
I mean, it should run in the same direction, but whats the mechanism which makes sure that engine runs in the same direction??

Replies

• Fahad Bhatti
    Fahad Bhatti
    hi buddy!
    In cars there's a starting motor which drives the engine initially and is responsible for the direction of engine's movement. The terminals of the motor are connected to the fixed terminals of a battery which makes sure that direction of rotation is always the same.
    Thus every time the car starts , the motor gives the initial rotations and gives these in the same particular direction.
  • cshmech
    cshmech
    thanx Buddy(Bhatti)😁...
  • flash319
    flash319
    Also the spark is advanced of TDC therefore if it were to start backwards it would not run because the spark would be behind TDC.
  • Raghavendra.RSP
    Raghavendra.RSP
    Hi, at first i had this same doubt, but i heared that angles between the connecting rods of pistons, and the crank shaft will make the engine to run in only one direction, is this correct! i think its only by starting motor.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Guys and Girls, this is Fahad from Islamabad. I want to know what is meant by -ve and +ve power factor? Could anyone here explain it with apt examples?...
Which motor continues to rotate after switch off and functions as generator in the circuit?
Can anyone explain me the basics of thermostat ? how it works? with example?
Is there anyone out here who works with Green Lasers?😕
😁Happy Birthday Silverscorpion 😁 May all your dreams come true! ​