Email: Plain Text Vs. HTML : Which one is better?

I do not want to waste time on writing the advantages and disadvantages of both HTML & plain text mails.

Which one do you think is better, and why?

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    The very first thing is I don't know what are html text mails? If HTML text mails are those in which we are supposed to use HTML tags then obviously according to me plain text mails are always better provided they have spelling checker. πŸ˜›
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Really? That's surprising! 😁
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Depends on the type of correspondence, I suppose πŸ˜€

Generally, HTML email is useful for basic formatting and highlighting stuff. If you need to send a long e-mail that has distinctive points, formatting does help the recipient read through.
  • Yamini L
    Yamini L
    HTML emails let you view images, graphics and links within the email. Plain text emails contain only words, with no images, graphics or links..

Plain text mails are better i suppose..One may chose html mails for better displays but there is every possibility that the message sender sends could become unreadable due to difference in sender's and receiver's system(layouts may change)..HTML mails are very dangerous(automatic code execution happens and that might lead to your system getting infected)..

Plain text mails are comparitively more readable,comsumes less time and bandwidth..All e-mail programs (e-mail clients) can read plain text base e-mails..
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    HTML emails do help a lot in formatting and doing other interesting stuff with images. However if you as me, I'll prefer plain text mails.

It all depends on the purpose of sending the email.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I prefer plain text mails.!!😎
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    As a email user, the mails I send to others mostly do not contain any graphics or formatting.
    And most of the time, the important mails which I receive are also devoid of any decoration or graphical prowess. So, naturally, plain text email is enough for me as of now..
  • gohm
    gohm
    HTML for business, plain text for personal
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    gohm
    HTML for business, plain text for personal
    You mean plain text for business and HTML for personal, right?
  • gohm
    gohm
    No, HTML allows graphics, nice links, photos etc which is ideal for business newsletters, advertising, sale notifications, etc. personal e-mailsd with family and friends should just be plain text as if you are writing a letter.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hmm..

I never felt comfortable writing a mail in plain text.
    It doesnot allow me to high light stuff.
    But I guess I am using rich text, Now I am all but confused between HTML, RICH and PLAIN text formats! πŸ˜•
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Any form of formatting, such as bold, underline or colouring, uses HTML tags.

As usual, this debate is a "depends on" situation.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here is one sentence explanation: 😁

HTML
    lets you add tags around plain text to make it rich text.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    I would prefer the HTML mail...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I am persauing in 3rd year BE in EEE stream.. I have to undertake project for 1year.. Mostly nearly 10 or more people may do the projedt.. Plese can...
Hello people, In this thread we will discuss all the methods , strategies short cuts , easier methods what ever to crack the toughest part of CAT exam that is...
Hello Ceans, In this thread we will discuss all the methods , short cuts , easier methods to crack the QUANT part of CAT exam . Mathematics is a bit...
Hi people, Just now, English Scared started two threads for quants and verbal for CAT 2009. He left out DI. So, I'm starting one for DI too, as it's also...
Hi guys, this is one interesting connect. You can very easily identify the theme, but getting to the connect is a bit tricky.. Good luck. Happy connecting😁😁