CrazyEngineers
  • Abhishek
    Abhishek

MemberAug 24, 2013

Elementary OS Luna [Review]

Few months back, I tried Elementary OS Luna Beta 1 and I was very much impressed by the distribution.So, when Elementary OS Luna 0.2 was finally released, I ditched Ubuntu because Unity never impressed me as much Gnome 2 was able to.
    I was among the Linux users who cursed Canonical for shunning Gnome 2 & bringing Unity for 11.04
    Undoubtedly, Unity has improved very much since last two years but still I don't know why I don't find it user-friendly. (Even though I hate Unity, I have been using Ubuntu for so long, Canonical has the best community out there, period)

Few days back, I switched from Ubuntu to Elementary OS. I downloaded 32-bit Raw ISO image which is of size 694.2 MB. First boot of stable Elementary OS & I was stunned by it's sophisticated look. Many people find it Mac OS X duplicate, well I don't find a single bit similar to Mac OS X, except the dock.

Elementary OS Luna comes with 'Pantheon' which is nothing but a Gnome-fork panel at the top, Plank at the bottom & 'Slingshot' as Application Launcher.

'Plank', which looks similar to 'Docky' minus those extra icons & addition custom features.

'Slingshot' which is stylish light-weight app launcher created specifically for Elementary OS. It's one awesome software of Elementary OS which I love most. Makes my life easy.
    There are two options available to view Slingshot : 'Grid' & 'Category'
    By default it uses 3x5 size i.e 3 Rows & 5 columns which can be changes/tweaked with Elementary tweaks application.

Grid View :
    Category View :
    The File manager use in Elementary OS is called as 'Pantheon File Manager' which is attractive with light-blue colored icons & very beautiful properties option from which you can change the permission as you want with simple clicks.
    Screenshot from 2013-08-25 11:01:54
    The distribution comes with few applications, which includes 'Maya' - The Elementary Calendar, 'Noise' - The Elementary Music Player, 'Movie Player' - Which is nothing but Totem Music Player, 'Geary' - Email Client & 'Shotwell' - The Photo Manager, 'Midori' - The lightweight browser, 'Pantheon terminal' & 'Scratch'.

Unfortunately, the distribution doesn't comes with Libreoffice, which is used a lot by most of users. Other drawback is that 'right-click' doesn't work on desktop. So, if want to change the desktop wallpaper, you have to use option - System settings->Desktop.
    One more thing to note, The desktop is complete nude, there is no option available to create shortcut on the desktop. Well I don't see any use of it either, as you have 'plank' for that.

Overall :
    - Very stable OS based on Ubuntu 12.04 hence it have LTS support. (until 2017)
    - Comes with Kernel 3.2.0
    - Attractive design
    - It is based on Ubuntu, hence millions of Free applications.
    - No crashes. (Atleast I haven't noticed any since 10 days & note that I have tweaked a lot from custom Kernels to few scripts)

I would highly recommend anyone who are interested in trying Linux distros. This distribution have their own self-coded elements,applications & features which surely you don't find in the latest derivative distros coming to picture now-a-days.

Undoubtedly, A promising distribution for standalone users, students,developers & for gaming too.
    Elementary OS Luna has bright future ahead, No shit.

My special thanks to developers & entire team behind Elementary OS Luna who gave me such a dope free & stable Operating system. You guys deserve donations 👍

Download Luna : #-Link-Snipped-#
    For Luna tweaks : #-Link-Snipped-#
    Join Elementary Forum : #-Link-Snipped-#

Long Live Opensource ! 😍
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Pensu

MemberAug 25, 2013

Great looks, and I think the idea of dock is nice. It will make the transition from Mac easier....😉
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • durga ch

MemberAug 26, 2013

I think I will just wait for the VM to be available . by the way - is this distro built on Ubuntu?
    Cancel
  • Abhishek Rawal

MemberAug 26, 2013

durga
    I think I will just wait for the VM to be available . by the way - is this distro built on Ubuntu?
    Yep Debian based, uses Ubuntu Precise 12.04 repositories.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register