electrolytic capacitor not used in tuned filters

hi all,
can someone please tell me why electrolytic capacitors are never used in tuned filters and only ceramic capacitors are used?

Replies

• reachrkata
    reachrkata
    All the available Electrolytic capacitors tend to have a large capacitance value which is suitable only for low frequency operations.
    Tuned circuits usually are used in the MHz and above range which need very low capacitance values.

-Karthik
  • docel
    docel
    Right reachrkata !

To add a few details:
    1. Ceramic capacitors are used in non critical tuned circuits ie., broad bandwidths. They are notoriously temperature sensitive and vary all over the band. In fact, they are very good Temperature sensors LoL !
    2. NP0, N750 etc., temp compensated Ceramics are used for Freq critical circuits.
    3. Polyester, Polycarbonate and polypropylene capacitors have better tolerance and are more temperature stable.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm having trouble getting my MPLAB to establish a connection with my programmer. I have a MPLAB ICD module with a serial connection to COM1 on my pc. There is...
I found that only USB Drives (jump/flash/external/etc.) are not working on USB ports, other things like mice etc... are working perfectly, on my laptop. On connecting USB drive the we...
We have a search engine for videos which is claimed to be the first one to search videos by seeing images that appear in videos. Checkout the article: A Search...
CEans, Please keep everyone of us posted about the engineering, tech, entrepreneurship conferences, summits happening across the world so that we can get in touch with the organizers and partner...
Hey Guys Time to wake up. :sleeping: I see too many people asking for help in their projects and seminars. Me and Biggie were discussing about how we can help...