electricity tariff In KWH or in KVA

I recently read that government charged the electricity bills in KWH ..
But if power factor maintained is bad. person is charged with penalities and he has to pay tariff acc to KVA hour.
Even some companies delude customers by charging in KVA..
Is it correct??

Replies

• freak16
    freak16
    Please answer it friends.
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    What do you mean by bad power factor? IT always depends on the phase diff. between current & volt. Now, the power meter integrates the values of current & voltage in analog form. I guess you knwo that we integrate only the cosine term. Here irrespective of the instantaneous value of the phase, the end-points are pretty well define(w =0 to 2π & t= 0 to 1 hr.) So I don't think the question of bad power factor comes up.
    Now If there are meters capable of measuring power separately in kVA then I am wondering how it could happen as the meters have analog integrators inside them and will have to consider the value of the power factor. I can't be sure of this though.
  • freak16
    freak16
    Bad power factor is pf below 9..
    At our home or in industries people need to mantain pf above 9.
    if we fail government charge penalties for that.
    I hope i m clear now
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    ya its better because we had less resources for generation of electricity and all electricity is reducing if we had low power factor
    the power generated to be increase due to that many problems are creating
    so,i think it would be better so that the usage of electricity is decreased and much electricity is developed
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    In that case my entire theory written above becomes pointless. But how should we control the pf. On what parameters is it based?(read use of particular appliance, time of usage, frequency of fluctuations etc.)
  • vibhor_one
    vibhor_one
    Power factor should be maintained above 0.85 for LT users and 0.90 for industrial or HT users at the customer site otherwise there is a provision to penalize, this is because we now have mostly inductive load like that of coils and motors that's why capacitive load is reduced. It is maintained by using capacitors in both the cases otherwise it may effect the supply. Supply companies also provide with incentives for lead load. And one more point here to be added that supplier charge only for inductive load they will not charge you for any amount of capacitive load what so ever that is kVA only.
  • therealabdo
    therealabdo
    Governments attach two meters tariff in industrial one Kwh and Kvar. With little calculation they calculate the Pf and ask for penalties.
    In domestic no Kvar meters because usually the pf is high.

Pf goes higher for loads like heaters
    Pf goes lower for loads like motors

I may answer any question you have
  • freak16
    freak16
    @therealabdoanks
    thanks
    You clear my doubt..
  • sasuke
    sasuke
    so, any conclution of the title? our meter is measure kWh or kVAh?
  • sants44
    sants44
    Hello guys,
    tariff is collected in KWH basis only... I've a doubt if power factor reduces the system efficiency why not they collect tariff in KVAh... I've seen digital meters which meaasure KVAh.. If we charge for KVAh only the consumer will know the importance of PF and transmission efficiency of the grid can also be improved.
  • therealabdo
    therealabdo
    it measure the Kwh..and in there is meters measure KVAR
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Hope this makes up a conclusion.
    Before you read my answer, please do read this
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    and this
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Now, whoever is utilizing power, they are utilizing active power(Watts=VIcos(phi)). That means they are consuming energy due to active power(Watt hour). That means, consumption can charged on the rate of usage of kWh of energy. If you have read the contents in the above links, you would have understood what reactive power is. Now, When the inductive load on any generator in a power station increases, what happens is that the power factor decreases. That means the angle increases. The intake of reactive power increases. But, in a kWh meter, the reactive energy (kVAh) is not recorded. So, even though the consumer consumes a lot of power, which is ultimately spent by the power station to counter the reactive power requirement, the power station incurs losses in low power factor, as it cannot bill the energy consumed which is not recorded in the kWh meter. So, what they do is that they calculate power factor and charge penalty on the users who have consumed the power in a lower power factor.
    PS- I know my explanation is not upto the mark. If you are kind enough to correct me and ask clarifications for anything in this one, it would be very helpful. Thanks.
  • Arp
    Arp
    in homes obviously kwh as pf for domestic usage is not so low.....
  • vibhor_one
    vibhor_one
    does fixed charge of electrical bill depends upon reactive power?
  • aicbal
    aicbal
    Not Government but PSU

In India there is no Government Electric Supplier. Some of the suppliers are public sector units and some are private sectors. They have not yet implemented the idea of penalizing or rewarding the domestic consumers. Instead, they install capacitor banks in their side to improve overall p.f.
  • shubhankar
    shubhankar
    actually there are many types of tariffs. two part tariff in which one part is being charged on the maximum demand of the installation and the other on the energy produced. three part tariff.flat rate tariff. power factor tariff. different tariffs are applicable for different type of consumers. for example power factor tariff is of much importance to industrial consumers than domestic consumer as a heavy penalty is laid on them. this is because a large capacity loads are being use dby them and a good PF ensures better qquality power and less damage to the power system

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello, i am creating a search engine.. and i am getting an error Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in c:\wamp\www\major project\search.php on line 22...
i actully saved a song in my picture and tried to send to my friend,but it was not sent kindly say the reason "why the message was not sent" or...
hello i m a mechanical engg student
1. “We're about to go into beta testing.” This is a meaningless statement because it doesn't matter when you go into beta testing--what matters is when you come out of...
how electrical layout design is done in thermal power plant or industrial plant?