Electrical Engineering Explained In 5 Seconds!

I think Electrical Engineering isn't very complicated. All you need to know and understand is just one equation : V=IR. Though this is a simple equation, not many really can visualise it. Here's a picture that will explain this very basic concept in just 5 seconds. Electrical engineering will become a LOT easier if you understand this -

Electricacl-Engineering-Explained

PS: Not exactly a technical topic; but I thought this would be the most appropriate section because it's all about 'basics', you see.

Replies

• naveee
    naveee
    But transformer doesn't applies this major law sir ๐Ÿ˜€ ????
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    naveee
    Ultimately, Electrical engineering is all about Current, Voltage and Resistance; right?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    naveee
    Why not?
    You have to replace resistance by impedance, which is AC resistance in a sense.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    naveee
    Except non linear devices all the other devices comes into this list only
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    jeffrey samuel
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    bioramani
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    ๐Ÿ˜จ I am confused It is an entire lab manual of Harvard university and that tells all about many experiments in electrical but I am not getting your point here sir
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Non linear issues are discussed. It was in extension to your post.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    bioramani
    Non linear issues are discussed. It was in extension to your post.
    Got it sir thanks for clearing
  • naveee
    naveee
    The_Big_K
    Ultimately, Electrical engineering is all about Current, Voltage and Resistance; right?
    ya..... mutual inductance is playin a gr8 role in transformers..... ya i agree ur point ๐Ÿ˜€
  • naveee
    naveee
    bioramani
    Why not?
    You have to replace resistance by impedance, which is AC resistance in a sense.
    sir transformer doesnt obeys ohm law......... am sure about it ..... .....becoz in transformer ratio....voltage and current ratio are inversely proportional sir ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    naveee
    ya..... mutual inductance is playin a gr8 role in transformers..... ya i agree ur point ๐Ÿ˜€
    Hey pal better not use SMS language here in forums
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    naveee
    sir transformer doesnt obeys ohm law......... am sure about it ..... .....becoz in transformer ratio....voltage and current ratio are inversely proportional sir ๐Ÿ˜€
    And it does not obey where

All the transitions take place in constant power scenario only and so it does obey Ohm's law
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    naveee
    Consider the two windings separately.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    bioramani
    Even if we take Mutual inducatnce principle also there is Ohmic rule in it

And to simplify the issue we can assume independent windings
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    ๐Ÿ˜... This picture should be in text book.
  • lal
    lal
    Well, transformer is a machine. It works on mutual induction. The process it does is to step up or step down voltages. The turns ration and mutual induction are all dependent on what a transformer does, its work, its use. Just like a motor as a machine is used to convert electrical energy to mechanical energy.

But, for a current to flow through any of the windings in the transformer, you must apply a potential difference. The current will be directly proportional to the potential difference applied across the winding. Bingo!! there is Ohms law. Being AC, there is impedance instead of just resistance.
  • prashanth463
    prashanth463
    jeffrey samuel
    why not non linear devices?, all kind of devices accept this law right? or am i mistaken at some point?
  • naveee
    naveee
    jeffrey samuel
    Hey pal better not use SMS language here in forums
    ok pal got it......i will change it ๐Ÿ˜€
  • naveee
    naveee
    bioramani
    we leave that...... but according to ohms law...current and voltage should be directly proportional.. if we see in transformer ratio........ it is in inverse......why and how ???? thats the great doubt,,,!!!!! my lecturers told that is due to mutual inductance.. !!!!!!!!......could you please clarify me sir..... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Think of it this way. First of all there can be no induction unless a current flows. A flowing current set up a magnetic field. An AC sets up a cyclic field. The induced voltage in the second coil will depend on the inductance (which is proportional to the number of turns) of the second coil.
    If you have n turns in the primary, you get 1/n times the primary voltage in the secondary for every turn. If you have n turns in the secondary also the voltage in the secondary is the same as the primary and you have what is called an isolation transformer. The secondary voltage is floating and not referred to ground.
    Here is a video tutorial:
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    prashanth463
    why not non linear devices?, all kind of devices accept this law right? or am i mistaken at some point?
    All Ohmic rules holds good for Linear devices only

Diodes does not obey these laws cos current I is not proportional to Voltage applied V
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    naveee
    we leave that...... but according to ohms law...current and voltage should be directly proportional.. if we see in transformer ratio........ it is in inverse......why and how ???? thats the great doubt,,,!!!!! my lecturers told that is due to mutual inductance.. !!!!!!!!......could you please clarify me sir..... ๐Ÿ˜€
    Hey friend you are failing to understand this each side the conversion takes place in terms of constant power

For an ideal transformer

VpIp=VsIs

This is a direct effect of Ohms law
  • prashanth463
    prashanth463
    jeffrey samuel
    All Ohmic rules holds good for Linear devices only

Diodes does not obey these laws cos current I is not proportional to Voltage applied V
    thanks samuel for clearing it out with a simple example
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    prashanth463
    thanks samuel for clearing it out with a simple example
    My pleasure friend
  • naveee
    naveee
    jeffrey samuel
    Hey friend you are failing to understand this each side the conversion takes place in terms of constant power

For an ideal transformer

VpIp=VsIs

okay okay ....... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • lal
    lal
    jeffrey samuel

For an ideal transformer

VpIp=VsIs

Power in primary equalling the power developed in secondary. Well, I dont think there is Ohm's law in effect there. Power is transferred by induction. Or say varying magnetic fluxes created by the primary winding linking with the secondary transfers power to secondary. Since almost the complete flux generated by varying primary current links with the secondary winding, the power transferred is very high too, almost cent percent efficiency.

Transformer is an energy conversion device. The reason that primary power equals the secondary power is because of energy conservation. In a step up transformer, if the current was to increase with the voltage, then the energy in secondary will be higher than that in the primary. The law of energy conservation has the role here. To conserve energy, secondary current decreases so that, VpIp = VsIs. The converse is true for step down transformers.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Here is a simple article on Ohm's law for AC:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

why semiconductor is preferred in current controlling than a resistor
I Tried searching the forum but i couldn't find an answer. 3D tag in html.
Given the strong opposer of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) that I am; reading Chetan Bhagat write on national issues in a national publications makes my mercury get warmer even in...
Five years back ArizonaUniversitytook a big step forward in the design of an artificial foot with its SPARKy foot with a 150 W motor, offering a near natural gait. Now...
True story. Buying music online on iTunes? Really? ROFL! True story ๐Ÿ˜