Electric Powered Glider Project: What type/size of motor to use for best efficiency?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently studying at university, even though it is the summer holidays over here, and I am new to this group.

I am currently making a electric powered glider and was wanting some help on choosing the best motor size that will be efficient and be suitable for my electric glider. Some details about the glider is:

4m wingspan by 0.2m cord, which gives an aspect ratio of 20
The total weight of the plane is roughly calculated to be 1kg
Battery is 11.1V , 15C , 1500mAh Li-Po

I am currently working under the impression that I can fly this plane using 15Watts/pound as a general rule of thumb. I have never built a plane before and am unsure about an appropriate power to weight ratio.

Is this power to weight ratio possible and is there any suggested motor type and size I should use?

Thank you and hope someone can help,
Artemis

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Friends, You can have this as a project topic. MIT scientists working with RWTH Aachen University, Germany have tried to increase the electricity generated through solar power plants. They have...
What is solar paint, is it available commercialy ?
It is curious that manufacturers aim to increase efficiency of electrical goods so that less energy is wasted. This laudable aim increases availability of power. Consumers become profligate and tend...
I am sure that most CEans use this. In case there are some new to this, TED is a source for triggering the imagination in multi-disciplinary fields. https://www.gea-consulting.com/our-b...eative-Stimulating-Educational-Speaker-Videos
Prakrust 2k12 is a National Level Technical Symposium organized by Smt. S. R Patel Engineering College, Mehsana. Events: Exhibition Paper Presentation Documentraty Robo Race Robo Fight Aqua Race Quiz Circuit...