Effect of transparent surface on LiDAR?

what will be the effect or result if LiDAR scans a transparent surface? will LiDAR be able to measure distance accurately or will there be some deviations?

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    There is definite deviation, if not inability to range at all. Lidar relies on light diffusion.

Though there is some interesting research sensor algorithms to take into account surfaces like glass.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Are you able to source your own Lidar? Quite expensive stuff.
  • Kevin Sardea Avellaneda
    Kevin Sardea Avellaneda
    thanks for the answer. it was really helpful especially the link you've given 😀
  • Kevin Sardea Avellaneda
    Kevin Sardea Avellaneda
    ash
    There is definite deviation, if not inability to range at all. Lidar relies on light diffusion.

Though there is some interesting research sensor algorithms to take into account surfaces like glass.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Are you able to source your own Lidar? Quite expensive stuff.
    thanks for the answer. it was really helpful especially the link you've given

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

my name is Douglas Ekwule Ameh, A Nigerian and i study Computer Science.
Hi CEans, Scratch has been around for about 9 years, but I was unable to find a thread on it on CE. It is essentially an authoring tool for young...
Microsoft's Jerry Nixon surprised everyone at the Ignite conference by saying that Windows 10 will be the last operating system produced by Microsoft. Now, that immediately leads one to think...
Keeping in mind the young selfie-crazed customers in India, Fujifilm has brought there Instax series of cameras to country. Those who would love to capture selfies with friends and family...
Quote: Spiders sprayed with water containing carbon nanotubes and graphene flakes have produced the toughest fibers ever measured, say materials scientists. Endquote https://www.technologyreview.com/vie...tubes-then-weave-silk-reinforced-with-carbon/ (Posted by CEan Clinton Rushing on FB)