Earthing of electrical equipments in motorcycles

in a automobile every electrical equipment needs a earthing then how it provides?
is there any common wire which remains in touch with the ground or automobile body?
but in my sense the tyres are insulaters.then it can be earthed?

Replies

• piyushh
    piyushh
    070790vivek
    in a automobile every electrical equipment needs a earthing then how it provides?
    is there any common wire which remains in touch with the ground or automobile body?
    but in my sense the tyres are insulaters.then it can be earthed?

good question
    its not earth in actual sense....its the negative terminal of the battary which is connected to the body ...i guess its for simply saving the wires for negative supply

fr example..for conecting a horn we simply give a positive supply througt switch n give negative supply from any nearest metal part of vehicle
  • lal
    lal
    You dont have to earth a motorcycle's body. I mean a connection to the ground as you do in your homes.
  • Codex Guides
    Codex Guides
    There is no earth ground on any vehicle. "Ground" is the negative terminal of the battery only.

Electrical equipment does not require an earth to operate. It requires a potential difference to operate. This is how battery-operated devices work; there is no earth, but there is a potential difference between the two battery terminals. If you toss your cell phone or GPS into the air, it still stays on, even though there is no possible earth reference.

The negative terminal is connected to the vehicle frame/body. This makes the entire frame of the car "ground". Motorcycles work exactly the same way.

Some cars end up having problems in their audio or ignition systems because these frame ground wires are too small or become corroded or damaged. Some performance enthusiasts even take the trouble to upgrade the wiring to heavier gauge cable and/or additional grounding points. Audio installers often battle sound problems related to lousy ground connections on the vehicle frame.

Earth grounds are nearly always for safety reasons. You need a place to dump electrical energy in case of a fault, so that someone touching the equipment will not become the conductive path and get shocked to death. The planet is a convenient place to shunt the energy, but it's not always a good place, as safety grounding engineers can attest.

- CG
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • sasuke
    sasuke
    You can try improve your motocycle grounding system. For, example, i do on my car. In negative batery terminal (ground), i add wire connected to alternator body, head block engine, gearbox, abs system, amplifier audio system and ignition system. It have some different.

This is because it improve return path to negative batery. The current flow will be short instead need to flow through car body.

Note: need to use quality wire, big wire & shortest possible.
  • rishabh9951
    rishabh9951
    hey...i think ground is not the negative terminal its the third teminal which sends the leakage current direct to ground.......its that third terminal seen in the the pludge....cose when we on the switch the current also pass through negative terminal to comlete the circuit...
  • vibhor_one
    vibhor_one
    I want to add a question in this particular discussion that what about earthing of ships? can anybody explain because of the reason that ship are always in contact of sea, could it be its return path where negative wiring are done?
  • sasuke
    sasuke
    in electrical, there have AC & DC source/supply. In high voltage AC, i.e 230Vac & 415Vac, common terminal are Line (L), Neutral (N) & Earth (E). This earth is also call ground, and this earth is purpose for safety & leakage current.

For voltage DC, common terminal are Positive (+) & Negative (-). This negative is also call ground but this ground is NOT Earth.

This name may confuse our fundamental.

I think for ship, there dont have earthing system same as motorcycle & car because no connection to earth/ground.
  • vibhor_one
    vibhor_one
    I don't agree with you, that ship does not have any earthing system for safely in equipments used in the ships which is very necessary, What say???
  • sasuke
    sasuke
    may need to ask ship crew. Just check electrical appliance is that use earth wire or not.
  • vibhor_one
    vibhor_one
    Hi Sasuke,

Yes definitely every electrical appliance does have earthing for its safely which can rather be the body itself which necessarily does not mean it is connected to an earth wire. My query and concern is about the safely measures that should be on a ship as can earthing be done to save human body from electrical shock.

If you could just help me in clarify my doubt regarding above, I would be gradeful to acknowledge your answer.

With due regards,

Vibhor Mittal
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    rishabh9951
    hey...i think ground is not the negative terminal its the third teminal which sends the leakage current direct to ground.......its that third terminal seen in the the pludge....cose when we on the switch the current also pass through negative terminal to comlete the circuit...
    You Desperately have to view this
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Could you please tell why earthing is done .i am an 1st year au engineer.pleasehelp me to understand...please.what is the use of it.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    @CSK AUTO
    Kindly view the thread I have mentioned above. You can figure everything out yourself.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i faced one problem while making the graph of speed control in dc shunt motor it is- the speed of motor is variying between 1300 to1600 rpm. i do not...
This thread is for our new members. Feel free to promote your college fest, events through CE Events (this section 😀 ) section. Its completely free and ensures global publicity...
Every time I visit any bookstore, I see many books dedicated to the topic of Personality Development. I'm talking about the self-help books that revolve around developing one's personality. This...
i am an electrical student i need some ideas regarding mini projects
i don't know whether it is right to post here. i m a student of electronics first year (B.E)(AICTE approved) . i want to know that whether we will be...