Drive shaft support requirements

I hope this isn't the wrong place to post this kind of question.

I'm building a home made "long tail" outboard motor. I'm trying to take a 9HP Hatz diesel engine and make it into an outboard. I've installed a mount and long drive shaft inside a carrier, with a "Morse" water lubricated bearing at the propeller end of the drive shaft/carrier. The drive shaft is about six feet long. I have no supports in the mid span of the drive shaft.

My first drive shaft which I had fabricated arrived bent, and in service (at up to 3600rpm) it wanted to distort further and contact the outer carrier.

Am I asking too much of a drive shaft to span that distance without support

I can't give many details about the actual construction of the drive shaft as I just asked someone to have it made for me. I'm not sure the type of steel tubing used or the wall thickness, but I can measure that. The drive shaft consists of solid pieces of stainless steel machined to the critical dimensions of the bearings, shaft couplings and propeller, with carbon steel tube/pipe between them.

Any input would be appreciated.

Greg

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i got 93.6%le rank 7159 & GATE score 428 in Mechanical engg. gate 2012. I am in O.B.C. category. Can i get DCE. or i can get more better college.............please...
can any one tell me that how can we give numbers in array on run-time or how can we make an array on run-time? please give answer fast....?
There was always consensus in my family and society as a whole that getting a degree was important and would lead to a great career with a well payed job....
Check out this optical illusion (if you're logged in, you can see the bigger image) :- This thing just doesn't stop until we all just give up! Can anyone stare...
One always thinks of robots as mechanical monsters with jointed limbs ambs and a stiff jerky gait. Virginia tech has created Robojelly, a carbon nanotube based hydrogen powered jelly fish...