Doubts regarding Strength of material

hi friends...... i have few doubts regarding strength of material, so please can anyone give me solution for them........
1. why stress decreases from upper yield point to lower yield point in stress-strain curve?
2. when we draw shear force diagram and bending moment diagrams for beams, we usually see that when shear force is zero at that time bending moment is maximum, so my question is,why?
3. what is difference between moment of inertia and polar moment of inertia?

so friends if any one about these, then please reply here...... waiting.........

Replies

• Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Consider this-
    BM and sf
    While M is the bending moment, the Shear Force F= Ra-W1-W2

now, when F=0, Ra=W1+W2, which when substituted in M gives you the maximum bending moment, i.e. M=W1a+W2b.

Ok, now let's see why this is maximum. See that the last equation contains no variable (no 'x'), so the rate of change of moment (dM/dx) must be zero for maximum bending moment right? 😀 Now as Moment is constant, differentiating it gives zero. Hence maximum bending moment.
  • Ankush Sharma
    Ankush Sharma
    The_Wise_Fool
    Consider this-
    BM and sf
    While M is the bending moment, the Shear Force F= Ra-W1-W2

now, when F=0, Ra=W1+W2, which when substituted in M gives you the maximum bending moment, i.e. M=W1a+W2b.

Ok, now let's see why this is maximum. See that the last equation contains no variable (no 'x'), so the rate of change of moment (dM/dx) must be zero for maximum bending moment right? 😀 Now as Moment is constant, differentiating it gives zero. Hence maximum bending moment.
    ok dear, right description................ but it is numerical one................ but, what if i suddenly ask this question from u?????? means if this question is asked in interview from u, then at that time what will u say?????? waiting...........

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, It's understood that rotational variances occur in U Joints as the angle of the input shaft increases relative to the output shaft. Can someone refresh my memory as this...
Hello, I know there are robots available which have sensors on them which allow them to roam around and return to their re-charging outlets - like the iRobot Roomba. I...
i am a first year student pursuing mt b-tech degree in EEE. Although out of my subject, i have a great attraction for bikes and cars, and modifying them. earlier...
A free eBook on power management is available for download here: https://eblast.eurospecifier.eu/043/index.html Quote: Free eBook Download Power 2 You: A Guide to Power Management and Control by Shyam Chandra Learn...
hello my name is i.v.prahlad and i have done my graduation from r.v.r & j.c college of engineering as a civil engineer. i want to learn few things about how...