doubt in PC start up message.

can any one solve my problem.

whenever i start my PC it shows an error message that,
"Primary Master Hard Disk error".
What does it mean??
does it mean that my hard disk is no more in working condition - Hard Disk failure.

my second question is,
can any one give me the best configuration for the pentium 4 processor(2.93Ghz).
😁

Replies

• optimystix
    optimystix
    Error with Hard Disk

Explanation: The system has detected a failure with one or more of the IDE/ATA hard disk drives in the system. The problem report may highlight a specific device ("drive 0" or "primary master") depending on the BIOS type.

Diagnosis: This is usually a problem related to the hard disk(s) themselves; this may not mean that the hard disk is bad, but could mean incorrect cabling or another issue making it impossible to find the hard disk. The controller or interface to the hard disk could also be at fault.

and p4 has become outdated so how can you get the best config ??

if am right, you must be meaning that you have a p4 processor with you and you want a good config to come up with it.

if you want a good config made with 2nd hand items.
    get a intel 915/945 based motherboard - approx INR 800-1000
    1/2 gb rams- ddr for 915 will cost 700/1400..ddr2 for 945 will cost 750/1500
    get a hard disk as per your requirement. would suggest the value for money 500GB sata drives for 2300(new)
    get a 20" monitor(get bigger if you want)- any will do.all are good ones. around 7000(new)
    get a nvidia 8600GT (2500) or 9600/9800gt(3500)
    get a better psu if you are getting a graphics card. one 400w for coolermaster will cost you around 2700(new)
    samsung/lg dvd drive
    any keyboard mouse combo according to your choice.

if you want everything new then heres the config.
    INTEL G41 - DG41RQ chipset based motherboard for 2700
    2 Gb kingston rams(avoid transcend/hynix etc)- 2700. want better? get corsair 2gb for 3000

HD 4350 graphics card 512 MB GDDR2 - 2000 . will play HD content and and some games too. want better? go for HD 4670 for 4300. 512MB GDDR3. will play even recent games at medium settings. want even better then dish out around 8000 and go for HD 5750. it will will your games at high/highest setting for around a year more to come.
    rest same as above
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    Actually, one of my friend is using the Intel pentium 4 processor with 256 RAM and 40Gb hard disk. Whenever he start PC he is getting an error, " Primary Master Hard disk error", and whenever he tries to format the PC with XP2 he receives an error and installation stops.
    and he purchase that PC in 2004 and BIOS is never updated.
    If it is the problem with the hard disk then can we replace the newer hard disk with that one or the problem is something else.
    please suggest me what to do that PC .
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    thanks for clarifying sushant.

can you give some more details about what error he gets when installing Xp before the installation stops ? that may help diagnose the problem better.

before changing the hard disk , you need to be sure there's no problem with other hardware too.

else get a hard disk from your friend. temporarily connect and see if everything is working properly.

and there is no need to update BIOS if you havent added any new piece of hardware to the computer. Even if you add a new hard disk or a new sata drive, you may need to update but not necessarily. so dont worry about that part.
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    optimystix
    thanks for clarifying sushant.

can you give some more details about what error he gets when installing Xp before the installation stops ? that may help diagnose the problem better.

before changing the hard disk , you need to be sure there's no problem with other hardware too.

else get a hard disk from your friend. temporarily connect and see if everything is working properly.

and there is no need to update BIOS if you havent added any new piece of hardware to the computer. Even if you add a new hard disk or a new sata drive, you may need to update but not necessarily. so dont worry about that part.

During installation it shows the following error,

"A problem is detected and windows has been Shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you have seen this stop screen , restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check to be sure you have adequate Disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the
    manufacturer for driver updates. Try changeing video Adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such aas caching or shadowing . If you need
    to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanched start up options ,a nd then
    select safe mode.

Technical information:-

*** STOP: 0x0000008E(0xc0000005,0xf94b9CAD,0xF9D7E4,0x00000000)

*** setupdd.sys - Address F94B9CAD base at F940D000, data stamp 41107C8F.

one more question,
    Is the PC having more than one BIOS?
    if yes than give me the details of the types of BIOS, a PC have .
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    @sushant

the problem seems to be a BSOD(blue screen of death).
    it occurs due to problems with hardware(most of the time) or software.

especially your problem with setupdd.sys indicated hardware incompatibility.

this means that there could be a problem with any of the hardware in your system.
    just run a simple diagnosis and see if it works.

RAM: many times its a problem with bad rams. if you have 2 sticks of them then remove one and start the computer on 1 stick and see. again alternate the stick and run the computer again. see for which one its working. you will know if there is a problem with the rams.

if its a single stick, then remove that ram stick, clean its golden contact points with a pencil eraser and put it back. run and check again.
    additionally try checking with memtestv2.1 , a software for checking rams. this will do the correct diagnosis with the rams, the above methods are only trial and error ones. many linux cds have memtest associated in them.if u do not have one then download from the net. its free .

HDD: remove the cable (yours must be IDE i suppose) and fit it back again. make sure it's fit snugly in there. a faulty hard disk can also be the reason for such problems. try replacing it with another hdd if you have in spare.

it seems most of the times RAM and HDD are the reason for this trouble. so kindly do the above mentioned procedure and let us know if it works and post your observations

and I haven't heard about a computer having two BIOS chips. Have heard of BIOS profiles but they are single chip modules only. I don't think there are more than one in a computer(someone correct me if am wrong).

reset the bios once and see what happens. remove the battery for a minute or so and place it back. once you log in, it will give you some error in boot screen. go to bios menu(del key) and load optimised defaults and it should be fine now. If removing battery did not reset, do it with the cmos_jumper . remove the jumper(if its a two pin configuration) for sometime and place it back. if its a 3 pin one, then place it on the 2-3 pins, wait few secs and put it back in 1-2 configuration.
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    Hi, Optimystix

Thank you very much for your suggestions.
    i will try your suggestions.

One more thing ,
    It also display the message that ,

"Checking NVRAM...update ok!'

what does that means and what is NVRAM can you please give detail about NVRAM.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    NVRAM stands for non-volatile ram and in this case, the CMOS/BIOS chip. normal ram is volatile as it forget the stored data once computer is powered off. but a BIOS/Cmos chip has data stored on its EPROM chip and it is powered by a small battery.

is your computer stopping dead after showing this message about nvram ? is it causing any problem ? or is it running properly?
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    optimystix
    NVRAM stands for non-volatile ram and in this case, the CMOS/BIOS chip. normal ram is volatile as it forget the stored data once computer is powered off. but a BIOS/Cmos chip has data stored on its EPROM chip and it is powered by a small battery.

is your computer stopping dead after showing this message about nvram ? is it causing any problem ? or is it running properly?

oh! you mean to say that NVRAM is nothing but CMOS/BIOS chip.

I think its not the problem with the NVRAM.

As you said previously,
    Let me first diognose the problem and then i proceed with the Hard Disk itself.
  • saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
    well connect your harddisk to some other comp and check whether it works or not
    and for config u can take any of mobos either intel or third party and i would recommend p45 chipset and if you dont have graphic card then g41 is good and with 2 gb ram ddr2 800mhz
  • saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
    most probably your harddisk is down

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi frndz, my first question is, Q1> IS there any lifespan for BIOS from the date of purchase? OR Is it neccessary to update the BIOS after 6 to 7...
First of all, I would like to thank the whole team of CrazyEngineers for wishing me on my birthday! πŸ˜€ And I wanted to ask if anyone could give me...
Wishing our moderator, CEan MaRo a very happy & prosperous Birthday! 😁 😁😁😁 May your dreams come true and Project QREO attain newer heights! πŸŽ‰Party On! 😁
uBuntu fans, Beta 1 version of uBuntu 10.4 is available for download. Of course, since this is beta software, its not recommended for installation on production machines. Get your copy...
Name: -=[ TH3L3G3ND ]=- *Engineering Trade: COMPUTER SCIENCE Location: INDIA *Occupation: I AM A STUDENT Work Experience: - *Hobbies & Interests: I LOVE TO EXPLORE NEW THINGS AND FIND WAYS...