Donating To Religious Institutions Vs. Giving Money To Road-Side Beggars

We've had similar debates before; but this one specifically targets donating money to religious institutions versus giving money to the road side beggars. One of the points made was - the road-side beggars could just be a part of the scam orchestrated by crooks. But then the logic would go very well with the trusts that operate religious institutions.

I personally made a choice of not donating money to religious trusts and instead using it to feed hungry. Imagine this - we don't hesitate to donate large sums to religious trusts and think 100 times before we give out pennies to beggars.

No matter what religion we follow - the question is, do we fail to acknowledge the presence of God in every human being?

Replies

• Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The_Big_K
    Donating money to religious institutions versus giving money to the road side beggars.
    I'm against donating money to the religious institutions. Looks like some kind of business to me.
    I think help is needed more than money.
    Ask someone to give their time instead of money, and you will see very few hands-up.
    Help / volunteers are needed to keep the religious institutions clean and tidy, and also to manage the people visiting these places.
    There are workers who help, but the common people seldom volunteer for help. They prefer to donate some money instead. Huh!

BTW, why is money donated to the religious places? I fail to understood this concept. Does God need pocket money?

I'm also against giving money to road-side beggars.
    Give them food / work instead.
    I had decided to keep a few chocolates and biscuit packets in my bag all the time to give it to the beggar or the hungry.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    no doubt to religious institutions only. we sikhs have the religious institutions who conduct the langars ( free food) regularly, where all the people can have it irrespective of there cast or any bias. i guess offering food is better than offering money.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    no doubt to religious institutions only. we sikhs have the religious institutions who conduct the langars ( free food) regularly, where all the people can have it irrespective of there cast or any bias. i guess offering food is better than offering money.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    lovejeet
    I agree! 😀
    I had been to the 'Radha Soami Satsang Beas' (my friend took me to the place).
    We friends did Seva there washing utensils and serving food (langar) to everyone, rich and poor.
    There were kids (4years) and the elders(70years) both who were helping with the Seva.
    It was a wonderful experience and an awesome start of the year.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Neither Religious trust nor beggar i belive to give money to your relatives who needs money really. I found in many family people are donating money to temples and elsewhere but not helping their own relatives. 😔
  • ~on*kiyu
    ~on*kiyu
    money is not a matter for man if he is willing to help others.
    for most reasons man does everything to show others.
    food or money is not always required for people. it may be our presence, a kind word...........
    why we say dont give money to the religious trusts?
    its because we notices the illegal account transfer in many trusts. but we never think that all of them is not of the same type.
    its about our trust and belief that we may sponsor to a religious trust or giving money to the beggars.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This thread aims at discussing residual electricity and the amount of losses it accounts for. An estimate is that residual electricity is responsible for ~10% power loss. If that's true,...
OLED technology is on its way to becoming mainstream technology in displays. LG recently introduced 55" OLED TV and I'm quite sure that other companies will follow. Referring to Wikipedia...
I'm failing to understand whether the engineering & technology industry is doing well or not. Thanks to the confusing reports by the leading media that does not give us any...
Just wondering whether we have engineers who're planning to start their own full-time or part-time venture in 2012. It could just a part-time activity that you want to turn into...
The journey of entrepreneurship is full of good and bad experiences. Why not share our good experiences in the journey? Let me start by sharing my own experience which I...