Does Your College Leave You No Time To Think About Starting A Business?

During my recent conversation with an engineering college student, I came to know that the college was so bullish on getting 100% results from the students in University exams that they had turned the college into a school - with strict 'in' & 'out' times, strict assignment submissions, regular parents-teachers meets and so on.

The college leaves no time for the students to take up sports, extra-curricular activities and other things. What was shocking that many colleges are adapting to this strategy to 'shine' in University results.

If your college is like that, what's your strategy to break out?

Replies

• aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    The_Big_K
    During my recent conversation with an engineering college student, I came to know that the college was so bullish on getting 100% results from the students in University exams that they had turned the college into a school - with strict 'in' & 'out' times, strict assignment submissions, regular parents-teachers meets and so on.

The college leaves no time for the students to take up sports, extra-curricular activities and other things. What was shocking that many colleges are adapting to this strategy to 'shine' in University results.
    I wasted my four years in such a (f word, sorry to use it) college.
    I was a winner till I came to such a place. All my friends here are zombies. My entire life has experienced a sudden brake due to this, now I am trying to get out of it.
    I am sorry I cant type more right now, I am turning emotional! I will be back on this topic in a few hours.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Ok, here is the portrait of the college in which I enrolled and... well, read on!!!
    It is a private college (by God's grace it is still there) which had done a record number of placements with its first batch in 2005. I was attracted to that college since I had a very little knowledge about essentials. Also, it was near to my home. But When I started going there, after about one month, I figured out that I am trapped! The college, in one month, turned into a school. It had everything a school had, home-works, memorize and say, impositions(write ten times, 100 times, 1000 times.. I got one, to write a formula 500 times:sshhh๐Ÿ˜€, Class tests every Thursday, assignments with strict deadlines, stand on the bench(only in the first year), stand out of class, attendance cutting if homework is not done, and anything you can expect from any school under the sun!
    About the faculty, The lecturers(read as teachers) were highly "experienced"(actually, they were passed outs in the same year, when we passed in:wink๐Ÿ˜€. They had great dedication(towards their interviews, government tests and job tests), and all they wanted is some source of income and also a chance to renew what they learned, what else but teaching can be the best option.
    The boys' internals were slashed to minimum internals or under internals because of the fact that they fare well in job tests in our state. The teachers didn't want contenders in their field, so they discouraged the boys in our branch. Girls were loaded with internals because the teachers knew that they are not so passionate about jobs and they only needed a happy married life.
    The lecturers in the electrical faculty were females(read as girls, just 2-4 years older than me in fact. I could have asked for a date if I wasn't in India). We actually did not have an HOD for 2 years. Our principal, who is from the electronics dept., 'acted' as an HOD. We were prohibited from getting out of our syllabus, tight schedules were given to keep us busy so that we wont wander off to greater heights than them by logging into the internet. Doubts only in books were entertained. They used to teach only what comes in exams. And if you ask anything outside the book, outside the syllabus, or even inside, your internal marks are on stake. I was termed as a rebel. I didn't do homeworks, I asked outside the books. I have been stopped from doing so, in a strict manner(a bit horrible). I complained to a lot of deaf ears. Then I started wasting my life, killing time and I even got addicted to alcohol(I pulled myself out of it now, thanks to my determination). I was devastated till the end of my third year.
    Oh, for such a system in our college, I would like to point you out to the results. Out of 60 people in our first electrical batch, 6 passed the exams and cleared, while others are devastated, still trying to write off the papers. Some had given up the vain efforts. Almost the same is with other batches.
    My parents, still think that its my fault for not studying hard to get results. I was just too inexperienced to face such a situation. Students had even tried to suicide as they faced all the problems along with nagging from family side. At least, I didn't do that and I planned to live on! I am still fighting in my life to cover up all the bruises and come out healthy again, thanks to the sweetness I found in that difficulties. I am planning to be an entrepreneur, I have dreams, nothing can deter me! Not even the dark past of my college days.
    Believe me, it was hell. Thank God if you did not study in such a college!
    Next is my brother's turn, my parents want him to enroll in the same college. I am against that. I am going to apply a loan if I cannot support his education, but I won't let him spoil his life!

P.S.- Kindly do not take offense. Its just my and my classmates' view about our college!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @AJ: Congrats for turning out to be such a good human being after suffering through hell. ๐Ÿ‘
    You definitely deserve better in life.

About this thread: My college luckily leaves me all the time in the world for thinking 'out of the box' ๐Ÿ˜€
    I may not be exaggerating when I say that my college is like the one you see in movies or television. (Concentrate on the care-free attitude part in that)

We get assignments, but no one keeps record of whether they are submitted or not.
    60 or 70% attendance is compulsory in college, but at the end of the semester, if you happen to be in the detention list (for not having 70% attendance), they actually take extra classes for 2 weeks. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
    About the lecturers: Copy-paste every line from what AJ wrote.

I am not sure if this holds true everywhere: But at my college: The age of the lecturer and the lecturer's intelligence is directly proportional.
    No one in my college staff exceeds age 28 yrs! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Attention span of an average student in my classroom is more or less 20 minutes.

So, I day dream about building business venture of my own in near future. And sometimes we discuss & chalk out plans for the same with friends sitting on the second last bench. ๐Ÿ˜

That's how it is till now.

PS: After my std 10th or schooling I did diploma in Computer Technology in a Polytechnic College (span 3 years). And I can say proudly that I learned way more than what I am learning n this Engineering College. Even the syllabus of my polytechnic institute was a step advanced than what is prescribed here. The university sucks big time in every aspect.

So, I have all the time in the universe of thinking about businesses and gathering knowledge around it.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    @AKD, I believe in life after death! If not in this birth, in my next birth, maybe I will go to a better college!!!!๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Folks, I need your recommendations. I'm planning to gift a Blackberry or similar phone to my father on his Birthday. Following are typical requirements - 1. Bigger screen & text...
Lot of CEans have their own blogs. Use this thread to tell us whenever you publish a new blog. This thread acts as free advertising place for your blogs You...
Samsung has officially released the first version of the theme designer for all Samsung waves. The theme designer will let users easily create themes and author them. Visit it here:...
I recently constructed a PLL synthesized weather band receiver. When I apply heat using a hair drier, the reference oscillator crystal remains on frequency. The VCO LO only remains on...
I'm surprised when many engineering students (and even professionals) say that the decision of choosing engineering was actually taken by their parents. There are few examples of wannabe doctors turned...