Does the position of electrons change when the current is AC?

I think position of electron do not change 

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

If the electron does not move, then what is the current? There is a drift velocity of about 0.25 mm/sec for electrons in a 1mm Copper wire carrying 10 amps DC. For a 50 Hz AC this translates to about an vibration of about 50 micrometers.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - it helps if you visualize an electric wire as a 'pipe' with marbles filled. If the marbles flow - you'll have current flowing through the wire. Keep in mind that it's the flow of electrons that determines whether a material can conduct electricity or not.

The best way to imagine AC current is to take a cross-section of the pipe and then check if the 'charge' is actually moving through that section. 

I hope this helps. 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm studying 3rd year in chennai. I'm an aeronautical student. I want to know that what kind of jobs we will get in india
A friend asked me this question, the other day -There is a building of 100 floors  If an egg drops from the Nth floor or above it will break. If...
I want to know the reason why India can't produce cheaper solar panels. How is China making solar panels for so cheap?
Hi I am due to start my computer science final year project and require a crazy futuristic idea which I can use to get a 1:1. Can anyone help?