Does sound really cannot travel through vacuum?

I know that actually sound needs a medium to travel.So , it does not travel though vacuum.

My doubt is there are many astronauts in space.Space is a vacuum.So sound dont travel through space.Then how come they are able to hear each others voices?

Do they really able to hear their voices or its just another impossibility which is shown in science fiction movies?

In case if they cant hear how are they able to converse?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Hey you forgetting some thing all space crafts have some air in them or else the astronauts can't remove their helmets inside the shuttle

That is enough for Sound to travel and thus they are able to talk between each other

At the same time when an astronaut goes for Space Walk they use Tx Rx pair to communicate between themselves as only EM waves travel in Vaccum

#-Link-Snipped-#

Tells why sound does not travel in Vaccum it's density is almost 0 and so the sound velocity is beyond human perception
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    You mean to say that here both EM waves and sound waves are involved during their speech.is it?

Then thanks a lot , that cleared my doubt.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    EM for space walks and Sound waves inside the Shuttle

Hope I managed to clear our doubts ๐Ÿ˜

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey all. Please try and attempt the following SQL queries Suppose you have a binary tree structure represented as in attachment 1.jpg Suppose the details of the figure in attachment...
Are these two similar in any nature? I heard they are not But they are having almost similar coding blocks I know that Embedded C is used predeterministically for Configuring...
While interviewing some candidates, I found them talking more about their certifications than interests. There was this guy whom I interviewed who started saying "I am Sun certified Java professional,...
I am creating a pictorial tutorial for dual-boot of Windows & linux, I however found a way to save the screenshots from live images to cloud storage, but I also...
Here, I will be using Windows 7 & Xubuntu 13.04 for pictorial explanation. Considering, Windows 7 is pre-installed; we'll further move for the manual installation process. Download any Linux ISO...