Does every closed loop always pass through corners of some square?

I recently discovered this post on Twitter and was amazed. I tried to draw a few curves myself and this seems to be working. I'm however open to opinions and comments from fellow CEans. Do you think this is actually true and if yes, what could be the reason? 

Look at this image, for example -

Zofq-closed-loop-corners-of-square.jpg

Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# . Could you give this a try? 

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Why a closed curve? It will be true of open curves. In the very example shown any one of the three outside loops can be absent.

Why square? Maybe the thing is true for other regular polygons?

It may not be true also. I shall revert.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

... I think the criteria for open curve holds. I'm trying to figure this out; but won't deny possibilities. Let's see. 

Update: 

I found this link that talks about the subject: The Inscribed Squares Problem

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

#-Link-Snipped-# , I must qualify what I said about open curves. The statement is true for some (not all) open curves. I took an isosceles right triangle and theoretically proved that a square can be inscribed in it. I presume that the original staement that you posted may be true.

I shall revert if I work out or find any rigorous proof.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Im unable to form teams with my friends having reference no. starts from CT but also i dont want to delete my account is it not possible to change reference...
How design a multi pulley & belt system that ensures positional accuracy at end?I'm designing a SCARA robot. All the servo motors will be placed at base and driving force...
Please send it early project details about water simulation with source codes
I am a 2018 fresher looking for job and I am not getting the proper way to find jobs. Most of the Jobs are with consultancy. And about off-campus I...
I'm a B.tech fresher from Civil Engineering. However, I completed a certified course in SQL and Manual Testing and got placed as a QA Intern at a growing startup. I'm...